• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DML Heuschrecke IVb "Grasshopper" WIP

Tony lee

Master at Arms
100_1395.jpg

Looking over the sprues I didn't find any broken or warped parts and that's a good sign
due to the fact that the box is of adequate size. Clean up shouldn't be much of a job and the details are crisp.

Voyager PE set:
100_1415.jpg

Boy-O-Boy this should be interesting :hmmm The kit doesn't provide the lift gear and since that's the main thing that makes this machine so unique I had to buy the PE set to get it.
The two PE sprues on the right came with the kit and I don't see any duplication in the Voyager set so I guess they'll be used also.
NO CHAIN supplies at all so those will have to be out sourced.

Friulmodel Tracks:
The magic tracks are incorrect with open guide teeth. All pictures of the real thing show solid teeth.

Looking over the instruction sheet I found something one of you folks might be able to explain and clear up my confusion.
In step 13/14 it shows you have the option to build the gun two different ways,what's up with that????
Breech block facing up or facing left.
100_1416.jpg

Saul do you have any idea maybe? Anybody?

Thanks
Tony lee

Tony I'm going into modeling overload watching your builds. Man this is going to be fun. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
:popcorn :popcorn
James

No expert Tony, but one way looks like an artillery breach with slot on the side, and one looks like an tank breach with slot on top. Could be out to lunch,but thats my guess. The tank one has the recoil guard while the artillery one doesnt.
James

The breach design might have been changed mid production maybe.

All sorts of reasons for that to happen but crew ergonomics might be a factor or even casing ejection.

Well it's not an anti tank gun so you're saying left side then????

Dave I figured I did something wrong since the GW went together so well, joke in this part of the world :D

I've put the word out on this option so i'll wait and see if anyone has the straight dope before I commit.

Thanks
Tony lee

I was thinking more along the lines of the left slotted breach being as seen on an artillery piece, which this ostensibly was, and the up wards slotted version being tank like as in the Stuh 42. Not really an anti tank gun as much as an armoured artillery piece.
James

Looking over the instruction sheet I found something one of you folks might be able to explain and clear up my confusion.
In step 13/14 it shows you have the option to build the gun two different ways,what's up with that????
Breech block facing up or facing left.
100_1416.jpg

Saul do you have any idea maybe? Anybody?

i think - and that is an educational guess - that the differences in the breech block layout has something to do with the fact that

the Krupp-Gruson design utilized the 105 mm leichte Feldhaubitze 18/1 L/28

the Rheinmetall-Borsig design utilized the 105 mm leichte Feldhaubitze 18/40/2 L/28

Thanks Laura
Mike you really think so? :idonno

The proto type had the leFH 18/1 L/28
For production the leFH 43 L/28 was going to be installed.
I did a search for the leFH 43 L/28 but didn't find not one photo :(

Here's the Dragon poster showing the vertical breech installed:
02_12.jpg

but the kit instruction sheet show the horz. breech installed.

??????
Tony lee

Hi Folks :Hiay

Today was spent mainly on the top side, the gun, casement/turret and the ground mounting platform.
100_1420.jpg

And a bunch of parts clean up ready for install.
100_1418.jpg

Still HOT & Very DRY
Tony lee

Howdy, was taking a coffee break and thought I would post what's going on today at the bench.
I'm working on the Voyager pivot arms for the lifting rails.
100_1421.jpg

I'm not real thrilled with the way Voyager wants you to construct the lower end attachments to the hull, time for some redneck engineering. :gogo

I'll let you know what I come up with :idonno
Tony lee

Back