• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Entry JGSDF TYPE 87 - Sherman 18

Now that paintwork looks Tops! love your feathering on the lines (y)

my opinion - colours/tint/hue - perfect! don't touch it!! run with it my man!

Phil took you up on your suggestion - I must say it worked well. (y)

Paddy, glad your able to pick up something up. Thank you. :D

MP, Oh I think your on to something there. :hmmm

Thank you James. B)

Okay yesterday tried the paint thing again. You know what, I love the color of the yellow/brown, but I think it should be much darker.

Type8784.jpg

Type8783.jpg

Type8782.jpg

Both the green and the brown look so light in the pictures. I sit here now, looking at it and it seems dark (the way I think it should be)

next step is to clear coat it and decal.

:coolio

I wish I had that kinda of control with an AB! As for the colors ....I'm thinking they will darken with the clear coats. But I really like what you've done so far!! (y)

Thanks guys!

Got the gloss on today, the decals and some detail painting done.

TYPE879.jpg

TYPE8792.jpg

TYPE8795.jpg

TYPE8796.jpg

Oh the new barrel I ordered came in on Saturday.

Thanks guys!

Hey while I'm here, a couple of the decals are not laying down. I used Microscale's Micro Sol on them all of them once. I'm thinking of hitting the ones that are acting up again with it; or should I use something else? I have the Micro set also. Any suggestions?

(sorry no pictures the camera went on a trip with the O'Lady and won't be back for a week)

Really like the markings and paint scheme. Nice work. Micro Sol is more aggressive than micro set. Maybe use a new number 11 and lightly puncture the decal were it wont settle, then give it some more micro sol. Alternately if you can find it Gunze decal solution is very aggressive and can make almost anything lie down. If you've never used it it will wrinkle up the decal. Dont try to smooth it out. Just let it dry and the decal will snuggle down and look almost painted on.
James

Solvaset is another tried and true fixture on my bench. Like most products, decal solutions have a shelf life, wondering if that could be part of the issue? As James suggested, making pin holes in the decal will allow the solution to get under and make it snuggle down. (y)

I gave up battling with decal setting solutions years ago and use Future under and over all decals I use, IP decals with the raised instruments are no match for the Future treatment. Tailband decals as well settle perfect for me using Future.

Decals are 98% kit supplied that I use as well.

Good to see you received the new barrel!

Dull coat on!

The problem decals did end up laying down after a forth and fifth coat of Micro Sol. Side note here I think it was more decal related now as the Micro Sol worked great on the Sherman I have been messing with. They are pretty thick as you can see them after two coats of dull coat.

Type87102.jpg

Type8710.jpg

Now to let it sit before weathering.

Back