• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA ENTERY - Nsmekanik- 1/72 Revel Lancaster

nsmekanik

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

:eek:hmy: Tim, there you go upping the ante again. Curse you! :bang head

I say that because I was going to do my Hasegawa Lanc for this build but chickened out. I'll see how quick the Macchi goes. :hmmm

I've got a half built Hasegawa lanc with all the photo etch, one of these days I'm gonna go across the street and measure out the tail wheel and I'll let you know cuase the one in the kit is way to big.

I've got an old Airfix Lanc kit that I'm stealing the tail wheel from. Yep, the Hasegawa one is huge.

BTW: Is that the Canadian spelling of ENTRY in your subject header??? :hmmm ;)

BTW: Is that the Canadian spelling of ENTRY in your subject header??? :hmmm ;)

Well..........not exactly......more a product of how much time I actually spent in school relative to the amount of time I was supposed to spend in school and the fact that I didn't use the spell check on that word :bang head

Alrighty then........to start with the kit is moulded in black plastic, and building it is a lot like building those early black plastic kits in more ways then one as in the seam lines, flash, ejector pin and sink marks. In this way I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed in the moulding of this kit especially given my experiences with some of their other recent releases.

First thing I built was the bomb, here the fit is quit good and the details nicely moulded, and then I moved on to the wheels, these aredefiantly poor and will have to be replaced.
IMG_0949.jpg

And then come the cockpit and here is where all the sanding and filling starts......
IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

Now I'm not sure just how visible these will be so just to be on the safe side I filled them in, I also had to add a bit off filler to the bottom cushion due to a sink mark there
IMG_0953.jpg

The kit also comes with 2 engines which are adequately moulded to be displayed with the side panels removed, as there would need to be a lot of extra finer details added so that things "look right" to me, plus the engine mounts look to be a bit on the thick side, I'm not going to bother adding them, if you were giong with the enshrouded exhausts the would have to be installed but as I'm adding the shrouds for me there is no need, but just for the fun of it I've decided to build them anyway
IMG_0952.jpg

:drinks

Well we are motoring right along here thanks to this being Canada's Thanksgiving weekend, so yeah things are gonna slow down here soon as I get back to work :java . Not to sure how many out there have heard about the Lakeside Packers meat plant in Brooks Alberta being shut down due to the ever vigilant US border meat inspectors (apparently much more so then the Canadian food inspectors) discovery of Ecoli in a load heading there, but as of that little fiasco the meat plant I shunt trailers at are now working a 6 day week..............
Had a wonderful Turkey dinner compliments of the Step son and Daughter in law though (y)

Engines are done
IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

I think that one would be hard pressed to get those parts to look anything remotely like these parts......
IMG_6202.jpg

ssssoooooo............no

I have posted some walk around pics of the Nanton Lancaster in the gallery section, as well as for the CH 146 Griffon helicopter (freshly returned from Afghanistan) in case anybodies interested, not sure how to link them so if anybody wants to please feel free

Anyway, back on track
Apparently the wing dihedral is a bit droopy on this kit, and well yes it is (I have pics) so based on what I've read the easiest fix is to hacksaw the outer upper wing off and re glue it....so out came the hacksaw :evil:
IMG_0956.jpg

I think the hardest thing about this operation is gonna be makin sure that both wings end up pointing up at the same angle :geek

This is Revels idea for allowing the props to spin, now I'm not particularly fond of this idea and if put together as instructed the base ends up with rather a larger gap between the spinner and the cowling then would be appropriate due to how the front of the nacelle bulges outward, not to mention the wobbly fit as well as the resistance to movement, nothing truly serious but I don't like it
IMG_0957.jpg

So I taped it together and sanded it all down flush,
IMG_0958.jpg

I'll probably just glue the bases rather then worrying about acquiring any ability to turn, which I think is more of a left over gimmick from yesteryear anyway

Nice thing is that the part balancing on the end of the Nacelle here can be installed after nacelle is glued together, unlike the Hasegawa kit, which makes cleaning up the seems so much easier
IMG_0959.jpg

Just a little heads up for anyone planning on building this thing, the firewall is directional and although there are tabs for to kinda point you in the right direction it is still possible to glue things on and install it upside down and it will fit very nicely into the one nacelle half that way too.........
IMG_0961.jpg

oh and more holes to fill.........

And here you can see a few more sunken treasures in obscene places......oh well not going to lose any sleep over it. despite all the negative waves I still think this is a nice kit and I am quit enjoying it
IMG_0962.jpg

:drinks

It's been a long time since I felt like sitting down at the bench after getting home from work, so I guess it's a good sign that today there is a bit of a morning update.

There was a particularly deep sink mark in this side window, I did sand it down quit a bit but it was getting to the point that there really wasn't much protruding into the frame so I quit. The one on the other side was fine......., there are a couple of minor ones on the fuselage though nothing I consider particularly note worthy other then you can see them in the pic.
IMG_0968.jpg

Ok, enough of the negative waves, the interior is moving along nicely, just gotta mask off a few windows on the fuselage and add the radios and it'll be ready for some paint. There are not alot of cockpit details but what is there is more then sufficient for my display proposes, all in all setting aside the filling and sanding it's a pretty straight forward construction process that is none to fiddly
IMG_0965.jpg

This is not a difficult build and the fit of this kit is excellent so I'm not seeing the use of much if any filler on the joints in my crystal ball, The landing gear doors are moulded closed and will need to be cut apart, setting them in place and they fit perfectly
IMG_0966.jpg

Ya'll have a good day now :drinks

Man that's a lot of surgery Tim. Good luck

Just grab the url from the browser and post it. I can get more direct links, I searched the gallery and didn't see your name come up.

Here ya go, found the gallery

https://www.modelersalliance.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=750

(y)

Back