• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Build Moon Puppy P38

Yep, I already gave a shout out to that guy that he's not alone.

Paddy I'm not even a fan of Eduard PE, if you look back on my neverending Wildcat build you'd see why. I can assure you this is the last Eduard product I'm buying.

Must be something wrong with me as i feel mildly attracted to this kit now ;) As i said before there are rules in life you have to live by and Aires for resin and Eduard for PE. is like the eleventh commandment
I can feel a "what if" here with a twin tailed corsair :)
Go for it Paddy (y)

Yep, I already gave a shout out to that guy that he's not alone.

Paddy I'm not even a fan of Eduard PE, if you look back on my neverending Wildcat build you'd see why. I can assure you this is the last Eduard product I'm buying.

Yea well i think the failings of PE become to much at 1/32 TBH its much too 2 dimensional.

By the way...that guy you gave a shout out to is well known over here ...and she's a 26 year old brunette..........girl :laugh:

I agree with You Paddy.

Bob, here's an example, Eduard PE instrument panel does not fit on Eduards! plastic part :gogo ... I had such an experience on Bf-110.

All the best!!!
Dusan.

OK, as we last left our saga, I would like to point out the initial problem with this

p38005.jpg

Both sidewalls are longer than they should be. they do not line up with the alignment points on the floorboard. I removed those points from the floor board and used a joint that connects to a raised panel on the left sidewall to line up on the floorboard hoping everything else squares up from there, it didn't. It's like both sidewalls scaled too large.

So I trimmed some of the spot where I was using to align.
p38009.jpg

hope these pictures help in what I"m describing.

Then I decided to start from the front and work back. The IP Panel that acts as a cross member between the two sides has to be squared, this was one of the issues I was facing in fitting everything, it was either wonked sideways or too far forward. So I glued it to the pedestal and made sure it was square and flush with the protruding part on the pedestal. then installed the sidewalls where they were squared up and aligned to that part. OK so far..
p38007.jpg

Then came the back wall of the cockpit, found it wider than the floorboard.
p38010.jpg

Didn't capture that well in this picture, I highlighted with the red where it was forcing a gap between the sidewall and floorboard. I thinned down both sides to fit.

p38008.jpg

Then we get to the IP itself. It sits too high so cut off what's not needed and align in relation to the cross member IP panel (I'll get part numbers this evening)

p38006.jpg

p38011.jpg

Now everything is square and plumb but maybe still a bit long, the part that represents the radio rack may be pushed further back than it should be. I was able to see how it fits into the rear of the cockpit nice and snug but when joined with the forward cockpit that fit is lost. Perhaps a better modeler can solve this issue by reducing the length of the sidewalls to fit properly, I'm just going to fit it best I can.

Another note, I went ahead and installed the windscreen parts on the upper wing/fuselage part so I can gauge how to align the IP panel. I'll get some more pictures as I close this up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXXe2aVa1Ek

You can do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rAHnwWfsaY

James

As I said earlier, you have a great courage for tackling this P-38 kit. You are certainly doing a super job of it. (y)

Well it's in there. Nearly a full third of the IP is hidden because it just will not fit with the wind screen in place.

p38012.jpg

All I have to say about Eduard is hope you enjoy what I spent on this, it's the last dime you'll get from me.

If you got this kit get it on ebay ASAP.

I'll finish this, close up the canopy, maybe even fog it up some because this looks awful.

Think I'll start back on the Corsair tomorrow, least some people have actually finished that thing a couple of times out there! (y)

You really don't have any luck with Eduard kits. :( I heard many bad words about their 110's. But hang in there.

Joe

hmmm. Very unsatisfactory Bob. I feel very strongly about this sort of thing. In any other industry they would never get away with this. The prefix "short run" should not entitle companies like Eduard to turn out un-buildable and badly researched rubbish. With modern comuter design and tooling there is simply no excuse for this !! you only have to look at the detail they can get in low volume resin to see that fit issues like this are simply poor design, poor research and total lack of product testing before going to market. This kind of testing in the market place is something you see a lot in the computer markets where games and programs are dumped on the consumer, insufficiently tested and full of bugs and errors but that can at least be corrected later with downloads. Eduard do not have that option

I can see you have done a lot more than can reasonably be expected and once you get to this stage you have to wonder if you are building a "detail up" kit or whether a std cockpit with scratch would not be a better/more accurate rendition anyway. If i was you i would be thinking about using your position here to hold Eduard to account. This reflects very badly on them especially given the nature of this group build and maybe you should set out your complaint to Eduard and offer them some space here to reply. We have all had to thin and " adjust" resin to fit at times but in doing so we have not had to destroy the integrity and accuracy of the model and there lies the problem here. There is only so much an experienced modeller should be expected to do in order to produce an acceptable model OTB and this is obviously unacceptable IMHO.
Over to Eduard ?

Thanks for your post Paddy, you are absolutely correct. If someone at Eduard had attempted to build this before release they would have seen the problems. As i've said earlier I've pointed out issues to Eduard before and got a response, basically it was yeah we know, would you like some more PE for free?

I've put links to this build on Aeroscale and Kiwimodeler, on threads where other folks are having the same issue. If someone from Eduard would like to address this issue they are more than welcome. Me, I pick my battles and have scars from them, this is not one i'm going to pick. Besides, all I'd get is an offer of more of the same quality stuff.

Woo hoo, more free JUNK!! I refuse to buy any more PE from Eduard, the stuff is barely A-bomb close to fitting anything, even the kits they intended the set for. Doesn't matter if it's aircraft or armor, the tape measure doesn't lie. Seems like Eduard would do well to actually build a kit using their product before going to market with it.

Rant over.

Nice work there, Bob! (y)

Just thinking, wonder if I can fashion some sort of hood over the IP to cover up that mess. They have you remove the hood because the IP wont fit, well it IP wont fit if the windscreen is there so leave the hood and ditch the IP.

These parts are supposed to fit together ? :hmmm

We had no clue sir . But anyhow, our main purpose is to create insanity during the building process :fencing .

Our job is done ! :stinker

Hate it for you Bob . Cheers, Christian B)

Just an FYI folks.

I did contact Eduard about this fit issue. Asked them if the intended to correct the problem. Here's the reply I got from Libor Havranek.

Hello Bob,

We know that the dashboard area is difficult in terms of accuracy of our designs.

We do all that can possibly be done, so that this effect doesn't appear on our future kits anymore.

Currently, we do not intent to correct this issue with the mentioned kit.

So here I sit spending top dollar for a kit that got rave open box reviews and it's nearly unbuildable. Lesson learned.

My reply is it will be very hard for me to purchase another Eduard product in the future.

:(

I've learned to pick and choose which of their products to buy. But even the F-117 PE does not quite fit the kit. Its a bummer for sure.Glad I sold my P-38 now.
James

Back