• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CTA Build Moon Puppy P38

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
So much for the false start on the Corsair. Maybe soon I'll get what I need to move forward.

I decided to go with the new Eduards P-38 kit.

p38001.jpg

Nice looking stuff inside the box, and that's all I'm using is what is in the box. After all, multiple bags of Brassin Resin bits. You can tell how they are going to break up the marketing of those parts, all the cockpit stuff is in one back, external in another and so on.

p38002.jpg

From the looks of the kit offerings, you'll need the resin stuff. The kit seat has too deep and massive ejector marks on the seat, very noticeable and it would be a night mare to get in and fill. You can see the cockpit floor devoid of details while the Brassin replacement is really popping with stuff. If Eduard offers this in their Weekend edition, bring along some aftermarket.

p38003.jpg

Not real thrilled with this. This is part of the seat bracing (haven't had good luck with that lately), as you can see in the instructions this is a tubular brace but what you get is the tube envelope with resin, I'm sure they do this to make the molds fill up but removing brittle resin from brittle tubing does not work well. I wouldn't have minded using flat PE in this case. (of course I promptly tweezer launch this part after cleaning it up so I have to scratch build this :bang head )

p38004.jpg

Here's another problem. After getting the side wallls cleaned up I test fitted it to the floor. Two tabs on the floor are suppose to line up with slots on the side wall..

p38005.jpg

...they don't. missed it by THAT much. I'm really trying to keep saying "typical Eduards" but we can always expect having to force resin parts to work with each other. You'd just think a brand new tooling like this would at least work together since it's coming out of the same box.

Well nothing so far has been work stoppage. The supercharger, air scoops and other external details looks really sweet and I can't wait to get to that point.

Not sure what scheme I'm going with. I know Saul wants me to do the one with twin Sharksmouths on OD/Neutral Grey, I'm leaning toward another NMF bird. Which ever one it is it'll also be Out of the Box.

Thanks for lookin'. :coolio

Oh now I am totally going to be watching this Bob. Love the P-38. If you need any photos or reference stuff let me know.

Here's another problem. After getting the side wallls cleaned up I test fitted it to the floor. Two tabs on the floor are suppose to line up with slots on the side wall..

p38005.jpg

...they don't. missed it by THAT much. You'd just think a brand new tooling like this would at least work together since it's coming out of the same box.

Yeah and? And where would the fun be in it if they did? Come on Bob :geek :D

:popcorn

Well done Bob :), its a great shame Eduard don't stick to PE and leave the resin to Aires! then we would have a kit i think .Gotta love a P38 :)

Thanks for doing this kit MP, (y) I was looking at that bird at the LHS last Saturday, will be watching your build very close, and feeling your frustrations by the sound of it!

yes - typical Eduard!!!

You'd just think a brand new tooling like this would at least work together since it's coming out of the same box.

don't get me wrong Phil, haven't really run into anything BAD. Guess I've gotten to use to Tamiya offerings. I do wonder what the extra length of the sidewalls will do to the fit in the cockpit.

My favorite Aircraft from my childhood :kiss: and is still one of my favorites.

:popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

don't get me wrong Phil, haven't really run into anything BAD. Guess I've gotten to use to Tamiya offerings. I do wonder what the extra length of the sidewalls will do to the fit in the cockpit.

no probs MP! Eduard does make some fantastic kits - but I wonder if someone actually makes them up to check them sometimes!!!

I do have a few, and I treat them like Classic Airframes kits - dry fit dry fit dry fit!!!

and I'd do that with those sidewalls of yours many times!

watching closely as you build this one! :dude

Seems as if somebody didn't read the review on this kit. As Gomer would say "Shame, shame, shame,shame"

Back