• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Beriev Be-6 (Trumpeter 1/72)

Been busy with family this past week over Christmas but I did get a bit done on this:

added some internal supports for the new resin engines

h47d41fe.jpg

Drilled out the air vents and scoops

h2def259.jpg

h11df8c8.jpg

drilled out the landing lights and filled a hole on the starboard wing that wasn't in any ref pics I looked at

h8ece560.jpg

And just have a bit of sanding to complete and the wings should be ready!

h5477fd9.jpg

Nice work! (y)

Now I need to find some half round drill bits :facepalm

Let me know when you find some . I've been looking for some square ones for some time myself. :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Half round?

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Holemaking/Drilling-Drill-Bits/Metalworking-Multipurpose-Drill-Bits/Half-Round-Spade-Drill-Bits?navid=12106187

I think that's been a point of ribbing in the past...pointing back now. :D

I've been poking along on this and am trying to get things finished up before Wednesday of this week. That's the completion day for this challenge build at my club.

I've been taking pics and will post them later this week!

stay tuned! :popcorn

I hear the sound of the Jeopardy tune. :D

That was quite accurate Paul!! I did get it finished on time (just) and we had our little contest. I didn't win but came in 4th.

Anyway, here are the pics!

I removed the rudder and replaced it with a home made one that looked more accurate

hf4b1eb4.jpg

One of my reference photos showed the plane had landing lights in the wings so I added those

h168a7bf.jpg

Also, I think I mentioned, Trumpeter must have copied this model off the Be-6 they have preserved with turbo prop engines. This kit has the radials but they left the exhausts for the turbo props! I added the vents that should be there.

h4dae3d8.jpg

The modified nacelles with the Vector engines

h989d6a1.jpg

The landing lights (made these from finger nail details)

h9637ea0.jpg

Looking better!

h868511b.jpg

Painting!!!

Pre-shading!

hecfe4bd.jpg

hcfd508a.jpg

Painting the boots!

hcb79dfb.jpg

I tried to do some different shading in the paint to give it a used/weathered look.

hff1cc29.jpg

h6011d89.jpg

All the tape pieces I used several times in the painting process!

h15b4020.jpg

Painting the exhausts

h5279964.jpg

Exhausts on the nacelles

h4ebff8a.jpg

modulation of the paint

h98b9b0b.jpg

undersides, I forgot to mention that the fit of this kit is so good that I was able to paint the wings separately from the body and then attach them (might have noticed that from the images!)

hb118ea4.jpg

gloss coat

h5a5b5ad.jpg

ha0d814a.jpg

stickers! I used a few of the kit decals, which were good but a little fragile, and some from an old Accurate Miniatures IL-2 kit

h651df49.jpg

props on

h1dc994a.jpg

weathering the exhausts!

hc77290d.jpg

One mistake I made with this kit (noticed after I finished), the little exhaust on the port side near the back (seen in this image) isn't supposed to be there (keep an eye out Gary when you build yours!!).

the one directly above the rudder

hf4b1eb4_2018-02-23.jpg

It must have been added with the Chinese turbo prop version because it wasn't on the reference pics I saw or the surviving one in Russia.

Wish I had noticed sooner!! :bang head

I like it Warren . It looks much better than all the box art i've seen.

I suspect the engines look strange because they were trying to keep them out of the sea spray .

Saying that it's Russian will explain a lot of things :rotf

Cheers, Christian

Back