• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Beriev Be-6 (Trumpeter 1/72)

Thanks guys! Just got my Montex mask set yesterday. Should have those on soon and then on to painting!

Still waiting for my engines to arrive.. I want to get them installed before I finish assembling the wings and then on to painting.

I did apply the masks to get ready though and did a bit more work on the tail

h11798f6.jpg

Montex masks are great but they don't stick well around curved surfaces!

I find they a little stiff too, Warren. I have on occasion used them as a pattern to cut a replacement from Tamiya tape for the difficult pieces.

That's a mean looking boat.

Wow, I just found this and got caught up. Thanks for the memories. I got one of these as a raffle prize from Columbus IPMS Nationals and built it last year. What a fun and enjoyable kit to build. I'll be watching the rest of this.

So, my engines did come earlier this week but I've been a bit too under the weather to do much. Did get to a little last night after the kids went to bed.

The Vector engines are always nice! They are supposed to be Shvetsov ASh-73 engines but these will suit my purposes!
h205c0dd.jpg

I cut out a small piece of sheet styrene for a baffle and glued it to the cowl
hcd2ca04.jpg

and had to trim down some of the cylinder heads for the engine to fit properly in
h5302bdc.jpg

Then I cut down the kit props and drilled a hole for the engine mount
h61020d6.jpg

This should look better (wow, I didn't realize this was such a bad pic)
h02576ae.jpg

he6728d4.jpg

Before pic

hbd253ab.jpg

after pic

h4cc6c80.jpg

and i started to drill out some of the other vents and exhausts

h3160a80.jpg

Still have to add a few things and paint the engines up!

Those motors really fill up the space nicely. Generally do have to trim up the Vector engines, they are to scale, cowls are not.

:pilot

Nice fix Warren . I tried searching the internet for some idea of what a view inside the cowl but could not turn up anything.
The Russians had some different ideas for their airplanes like shutters to control the cooling (y)

Anyhow, they still have different ideas now days.

An alternative thought on masking :coolio , I just purchased one of these after reading a post from another builder

h82d768d.jpg

Gave it a quick try and it gave me a good impression . Just paint it on with a small brush . Seems more workable than anything I have tried so far.

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice fix Warren . I tried searching the internet for some idea of what a view inside the cowl but could not turn up anything.
The Russians had some different ideas for their airplanes like shutters to control the cooling (y)

Anyhow, they still have different ideas now days.

An alternative thought on masking :coolio , I just purchased one of these after reading a post from another builder

h82d768d.jpg

Gave it a quick try and it gave me a good impression . Just paint it on with a small brush . Seems more workable than anything I have tried so far.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Christian!

The best images I could find for the cowl were on the Seawings site, not much there though!

http://www.seawings.co.uk

i do have the Microscale version of liquid mask and I do use that from time to time!

Back