• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

BA-64-3SKh Gobi Desert May 1947

BA-64-3SKh

Wow , that is cool. :D I need to look into what he has that might work on aircraft with temporary pain schemes .

Hmm, after a quick look, it appears to be an item that is mixed with the paint .

The better question would be what paint will work with it ?

Cheers, Christian B)

BA-64-3SKh

Is the "Transparator" just a glaze medium?

Figure and fine art painters use clear mediums with a little bit of pigment to build up layers without blocking what is underneath. It works well for subtle skin tones or painting water.

It's an interesting approach to armor since glazing is generally to pull off transparency in two dimensions where you're trying to pull off opacity in three.

Looking forward to this, if there's anyone who can pull off the AB control you'd need, it's you.

BA-64-3SKh

Is the "Transparator" just a glaze medium?

Figure and fine art painters use clear mediums with a little bit of pigment to build up layers without blocking what is underneath. It works well for subtle skin tones or painting water.

It's an interesting approach to armor since glazing is generally to pull off transparency in two dimensions where you're trying to pull off opacity in three.

Looking forward to this, if there's anyone who can pull off the AB control you'd need, it's you.

Pretty much a glaze. I am not so sure I am a fan of the technique just yet.

BA-64-3SKh

What little I've read is seems like preshading on steroids. I've never pulled off a preshade as i'm too heavy handed on the top coat. It always gets obliterated.

:popcorn

BA-64-3SKh

Here is the next steps. I have added a filter and one pin wash and some detail tool paint, that's it. Everything else is what is showing through the glaze.

JQmBJuUh.jpg

dBp16dTh.jpg

sXxOWsmh.jpg

BA-64-3SKh

Definitely a nice result.

Looking forward to your opinion when done.

It seems to me it relies on everything planned well from the beginning, unfortunately for me, I paint reactively. :hmmm

BA-64-3SKh

Nice.

I have to ask though, if you're going back over for chips, etc. is the method worth it or could dry brushing highlights and pin washes pull off the same effect on opaque color?

BA-64-3SKh

Nice.

I have to ask though, if you're going back over for chips, etc. is the method worth it or could dry brushing highlights and pin washes pull off the same effect on opaque color?

Maybe, and maybe not. Just because they are low level, doesn't mean they won't show through. The high traffic areas will get re chipped, or more accurately, the weathering over them will seem to be worn away, from heavier use. As I can never be totally sure what can and cannot be seen through the next stages of weathering, I add it as I think it should be. Kinda like a tank interior that can be seen through the hatches, how much can you really see and what will be hidden? Better safe than sorry.

BA-64-3SKh

Some more detail paint, and more work with oils. Yes I know the tans need to be blended better on the tarp!

sJxWPNj.jpg

XWW5OA3.jpg

3T9EAQ7.jpg

Xg7UFm6.jpg

Back