• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ants' "Duel in the sun" dio

Dude! Nice build so far! B). I must say your diorama is looking great! I really like the rust on the barn! smashing work keep it up.

Jaymes.

I don't know how I missed this in the past. Maybe one day I should go back and look over all this stuff and see what I have missed

Ant this is great! You've nailed that rusting roof and the ground work! Can't wait to see more.

Jose, MP - Thanks for looking and cheers for your comments.

I have painted the wooden wall of the barn since my last post and have started to add some scenics to the ground. I will post more photos very soon.

The next stage to groundcover was to add some lighter coloured earth powder to give a drier look to the ground. This was intentionally kept away from the crater areas to give the impression of newly exposed earth.

The planking in the barn has been given some paint and weathering etc. When the dio is fully assembled the whole thing will be weathered again to blend everything together.

2009_1118lakevrnwy0039.jpg

Next, the first stages of adding foliage to the dio can begin. I am starting in the front left hand corner of this build and working my way towards the rear right hand side. There will be a big difference between the two corners as far as appearence goes.

This is the first stage and some thinning out of the long grasses will be done at a later stage.

2009_1118lakevrnwy0023.jpg

2009_1118lakevrnwy0026.jpg

2009_1118lakevrnwy0033.jpg

This shows the flattened dead grasses on the "farmyard". Some fresher looking tufts will be added at the next stage.

2009_1118lakevrnwy0035.jpg

2009_1118lakevrnwy0038.jpg

A view from front to back. The dead soldier gives a clue as to what the rear of the dio will look like.

2009_1118lakevrnwy0042.jpg

Many thanks for taking a look.

Ant

Cheers Martyn.

Thanks very much Claude. There is still lots of work to do on the groundwork. I tend to build it up in layers, going over the same area more than once. I find this way as the scenics progress I can get a nice balance throughout the whole thing. As for the corrugated barn to be honest with you I have never seen/done this before so it was a bit of a gamble, which seems to have paid off. One thing I will point out is that if anyone wants to try this method is that you don't need to be to precise with the cutting of the foil before it is applied. You can easily overlap the foil without any real trace, Especially once it is painted/weathered.

Thanks for looking. More soon

Ant

The Pine tree.

Basic wire armature, with "bark" applied
2009_1121lakevrnwy0069.jpg

Seamoss has been added to represent the finer branches. This has been covered in a Pine coloured scatter.
2009_1121lakevrnwy0090.jpg

In its position on the base.
2009_1121lakevrnwy0085.jpg

Next step is to attempt a ruined farmhouse in the rear left hand corner.:unsure:
2009_1121lakevrnwy0062.jpg

Thanks for looking. Now where did I put that Halftrack?

Ant

Ant,
Everything looks great... Tree is WOW...
Farmhouse parts/pieces should fit right in.
Keep posting pics so we can follow.
So it that guy sunning himself or what? :lol: :eek:hmy: :blush:
Shawn

Thanks Adam - Still lots to do and tweak

Thanks Shawn - There is going to be a group of figures (3-4) at the rear right hand side, in front of the house. The sunbather may stay. He might even be covered over with a beach towel. :laugh:

As ever cheers for taking the time to look and comment.

Amazing work Ant! Love the barn the old painted wood is realy stunning. Great trees to, where do you get that stuff? :silly:

Erik

Back