• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 (Complete!)

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 Ausf.M (Update 2/2)

Looks pretty good to me Adam . (y) (y)

I love detail but it can definitely be overwhelming :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 Ausf.M (Update 3/15)

Knowing time is ticking, managed to get some time in on this today. Had hoped to be farther along by now, but not really surprised that I'm not. Things at work are getting more crazy instead of less, so not able to spend as much time as I was hoping to work on this.

Today I spent time working on the road wheels. First I got them painted Tamiya Nato Black, which I believe was suggested to me by Iron Mike way back, and I have to say its excellent for rubber tires.

Befehlsjager%20059.jpg

Next was painting the centers. Normally when I do road wheels, I just use a circle template and call it good, but that wont work w/ these wheels. First issue is the wheel is between 2 sizes on my template, and the 2nd issue is that instead of having a nice solid lip, the lip is more of a angled shape, so it doesnt sit clean within the template. So that meant having to use a circle cutter and make tape masks. A couple weeks ago (last weekend maybe) I spent some time playing w/ the cutter and adjusting it until I finally found the right size. I think I probably cut 6 or 7 different sizes w/ the cutter before finally getting one that I felt fit exactly right.

Unfortunately I didn't get any shots before painting, but here's the mask after I got the Tamiya Dark Yellow down. The wheel is masked front & back, and then painted on both sides.

Befehlsjager%20061.jpg

Befehlsjager%20064.jpg

I only did 3 wheels, just in case the tape masks didn't work out, but I have to say I'm extremely happy w/ the results.

Befehlsjager%20062.jpg

Befehlsjager%20063.jpg

Befehlsjager%20065.jpg

Masking takes a few minutes per wheel to do both sides, but I have to say that the results are well worth the time spent masking.

Not sure when I'll get the other 5 done, but I'm hoping tomorrow night, but that all depends on whether I can get out of work at a decent time, and have the energy to do anything but crash in front of the TV.

I can't believe you cut out all that tape! Looks good Adam :popcorn

Very nice Adam ..... paint is looking very good ..... :eek:ldguy

Keep up the battle ..... :popcorn

Cutting the tape was actually the easiest part. I've got an adjustable circle cutter, you can see it in the first image. I've not used it much up till now, but it works awesome, I really like it.

This is the type of cutter I've got.

Circle_Cutter.jpg

Just laid out strips of 1.5" blue painters tape on wax paper, and then held it down on my cutting mat and cut 20 circles out. Worked out perfectly.

I can't believe you cut out all that tape! Looks good Adam :popcorn

Good job Adam :good:

How'd you get my circle cutter :hmmm Just recently bought it and after using it once It seemed awkward to use since the height of the blade is not adjustable ?

Anyhow, after several tries I got what I needed . :bang head

Your wheels look very crisp. (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Yea, I did find at first it was a bit awkward to use, but after some playing w/ it I've gotten comfortable using it.

Yea, I did find at first it was a bit awkward to use, but after some playing w/ it I've gotten comfortable using it.

Well, hopefully It'll be like that for me next time.

One of the problems for me is always the small sizes . The ones that circle templates and punches don't address :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

Agreed, that was the issue I had here. Tried using a circle template and it just didn't work, so I knew I had to make my own.

Great tool Adam ..... I need to look into one of those ..... I'm trying to brush paint my Half-track wheels ..... :woohoo: :eek:ldguy

Thanks guys, its definitely a tool I'm glad to have.

Been able to get more work done tonigth & last night. No pic's to show last nights efforts but I was able to get all of the tracks painted, using Testors Oiled Metal. It's been posted that German tanks had a high manganese content, which prevented them from rusting much, so I didn't base them with a rust color.

Tonight I worked on getting down the first camo color. Its pretty much free hand, just used a fine lead pencil to outline where I wanted the spots, then turned the pressure way down on the airbrush and tried to be real careful w/ the trigger. Overall I'm happy w/ the results. Hoping that I have the time/energy tomorrow night to get the 3rd color down. Tonights color is Tamiya Red Brown.

Befehlsjager%20066.jpg

Befehlsjager%20067.jpg

Befehlsjager%20069.jpg

Befehlsjager%20070.jpg

I discovered after wrapping up tonight that I've managed to miss the transmission cover from the very beginning, so it doesn't have any paint on it, so gonna have to work on getting it caught up.

Back