• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Abandoned SdKfz 222 (Now for DAK with Doc)

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Very cool Paul! I really like how the wheels, the screen and the armour thinning turned out!

:popcorn :popcorn

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Wow, what sensational work! Man, I love watching you go the extra mile on these kits. You always seem to make them so perfectly! Way to go Paul!

Abandoned SdKfz 222

I have been remiss on this build. There has been some intricate building going on, but there has also been some time where I just had no :zen to do much building. I am over that hump at the moment and making progress again.

Here are the photos.

222-Afrika-026.jpg

222-Afrika-027.jpg

222-Afrika-028.jpg

222-Afrika-029.jpg

222-Afrika-030.jpg

222-Afrika-031.jpg

222-Afrika-032.jpg

222-Afrika-033.jpg

222-Afrika-034.jpg

222-Afrika-035.jpg

222-Afrika-036.jpg

222-Afrika-037.jpg

222-Afrika-038.jpg

222-Afrika-039.jpg

Yeah I pushed the number of pics a little but it was worth it don't you think?

I still have a fair amount of fine detail to add to the gun mounts. then a little to add to the interior including a drivers seat I scrounged from a Hanomag. More to come soon (I hope)

Abandoned SdKfz 222

WOW. Just WOW. I did the upper deck and engine bulkhead work on one of these many many moos ago but not anywhere as well as you are doing. Your attention to detail is amazing. So much to learn from these pics and build blog. Many thanks :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Thanks everyone for all your comments! As always they are very much appreciated!

James, the book youpointed out has been helpful, and a site online with a ton of photos of a fully restored and outfitted 222 has really been a wonderful source of reference. When I started thi I didn't realize just how marginal the Tamiya kit was. There is still quite a lot of detail to add to the upper parts of the guns. Then I will start building up the PE fenders and turret

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Paul, personally, I'm thrilled to see all these pics. Your work so far is phenomenal and well deserved of all these pics. Stunning work man, I can't wait to see more.

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Thanks Ian and Mark! I finished up a work project last night. I had to hand file a replacement dial marker for a vintage Rolex. Had been putting it off for quite a while. I did take photos with my zoom in camera.

It is a tiny triangular spike .110 x .023 inches (2.8mm x 0.54mm) with 2 pins on the underside to mount it to the dial. Filed from some 14k gold wire.

If you all would like to see it I did take photos. Let me know and I will post them.

Now I can get back to working on this beast.

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Thanks Ian and Mark! I finished up a work project last night. I had to hand file a replacement dial marker for a vintage Rolex. Had been putting it off for quite a while. I did take photos with my zoom in camera.

It is a tiny triangular spike .110 x .023 inches (2.8mm x 0.54mm) with 2 pins on the underside to mount it to the dial. Filed from some 14k gold wire.

If you all would like to see it I did take photos. Let me know and I will post them.

Now I can get back to working on this beast.

Sure, would love to see what you make for a living. Maybe I'll post some cisco code... :geek

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Okay here is the geek moment and partly how I manage to do the detail stuff.
This marker is for a watch that parts are not available for. Usually watches like that are just not worth repairing. In this case the customer wanted it fixed and was willing to wait and pay to have it done. I don't rush these things and this was the easier of the 2 parts I had to make.

Misc-003.jpg

Misc-004.jpg

Misc-005.jpg

The photos don't really give any scale on the part I will try and take a photo of the watch dial with a coin when I put these back in place.

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Wow, that's crazy! Nice job Paul.
So what does this do to the value of the watch?

Abandoned SdKfz 222

Wow, that's crazy! Nice job Paul.
So what does this do to the value of the watch?

Not much really for the value. In this case the watch is quite old and was made prior to when Rolex became a high end quality watch. It is more like your dad's old Bulova. There aren't any new parts available and most watches like this are basically worn out and weren't serviced often or very well. In this case it is more of a sentimental item that the owner talked my boss into fixing for him. In this case it was fixable (barely) but I had to make this marker and had another part fail that I also had to scratch build. :bang head :facepalm

In reality the owner is paying more to fix the watch than it is worth.

Thanks Piet! Building models helps my skills for doing this stuff and this stuff helps the modelling. The main difference is that the models don't have to be quite as precise.

A couple more hours and it is weekend time. :yipee :beer

Back