• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Italeri Sunderland III

Hi Christian, when they went from the Mk I to the Mk III they added the four gun rear turret, this changed the center of gravity and to compensate they swept the wings back a few degrees. Nothing else on the wing was changed so the engines point out as do the floats.

Interesting. Must have made a challenge to fly with an engine out :facepalm

I still remember that outfit I worked for crashing a DC-7 on landing due to having an engine out.

Luckily , no one was hurt :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Interesting, I had always wondered why the engines were set at an angle!

Keep it up Gary!

OK, primary colors on...

sunderland-b37.jpg

sunderland-b38.jpg

On the top side colors I used Humbrol and one was flat the other semi gloss. Not sure how that happened. :hmmm

Looks like I'm going to be pushing this one all the way to the finish line, still need to mask and paint the de-icer boots, gloss coat, decal, weather, flat coat then install and rig the floats and install a bazillion fiddly bits. This thing has like 25 antennas on it :facepalm And on top of that I gave away part of my Saturday time to help my brother with a project. Let the fun begin :gogo

Looks great, Old Dog.
Did you paint with references? I just wonder about that extra dark grey dot at the rear of the port wing. I've never seen that in a pattern before.

Its way to nice a model to worry about rushing it (y)

:popcorn . No matter about the gloss and flat. It will out come out the same after the gloss coat :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Yep, I know Christian but I figured if I didn't mention it, someone would ask. :idonno McLeod, that was the pattern shown in the instructions, none of the other references I had showed the top wing clearly enough to verify so if Italere was wrong so am I. I did find another profile showing dark earth and dark green upper surfaces that was basically the same pattern and it had a splotch there as well. Those two colors have such close tonal values in black and white photos that they are hard to tell apart.

I did get the boots painted tonight and it is currently basking under a couple 100 watt bulbs.I'm hoping things will be dried down enough to gloss coat mid morning. The instructions show no roundels on the bottom wing so only the top side and vertical tail will need to be gloss coated.

Thanks for looking in.

Yep, I know Christian but I figured if I didn't mention it, someone would ask. :idonno McLeod, that was the pattern shown in the instructions, none of the other references I had showed the top wing clearly enough to verify so if Italere was wrong so am I. I did find another profile showing dark earth and dark green upper surfaces that was basically the same pattern and it had a splotch there as well. Those two colors have such close tonal values in black and white photos that they are hard to tell apart.

I did get the boots painted tonight and it is currently basking under a couple 100 watt bulbs.I'm hoping things will be dried down enough to gloss coat mid morning. The instructions show no roundels on the bottom wing so only the top side and vertical tail will need to be gloss coated.

Thanks for looking in.

Yep, you're right :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

OK, primary colors on...

sunderland-b37.jpg

sunderland-b38.jpg

On the top side colors I used Humbrol and one was flat the other semi gloss. Not sure how that happened. :hmmm

Looks like I'm going to be pushing this one all the way to the finish line, still need to mask and paint the de-icer boots, gloss coat, decal, weather, flat coat then install and rig the floats and install a bazillion fiddly bits. This thing has like 25 antennas on it :facepalm And on top of that I gave away part of my Saturday time to help my brother with a project. Let the fun begin :gogo

Come on Gary, you can make it! (y)

OK, another photo finish. This kit did bring home a couple of things to me, one, why 1/72 is not my favorite scale and two, why I don't build WWI aircraft :gogo

I need to back track a little before posting the final walk around. I found that some of the PE parts supplied where just way too big for the scale, case in point the actuator horns for the ailerons. Way over sized and if that wasn't enough they located the slots for them in the wrong place, they should have been where the red arrows are in the photo below. I considered making my own but ran out of time.

sunderland-b42.jpg

Also over sized were the dipoles for the antennas, I ended up using the kit supplied ones for the transmitting antennas but replaced all the ones for the receiving antennas (all 24 or them) with fine wire. I used the PE parts for length then found that they were also too long and had to go back and trim them all. :facepalm The last part i found unusable was the brackets that support the exhaust dampers, way too big and really didn't fit the way they showed in the instructions.

Next is a photo of the bottom, the only one. Once I started putting parts on top there was no way I was going to attempt to turn it over again. By the time I had all the fiddly bits on top I was running out of ways to handle it safely.

sunderland-b41.jpg

Here are some walk around photos...

sunderland-b43.jpg

sunderland-b44.jpg

Rigging the floats nearly landed the build in the dust bin. I spent the better part of four hours doing it and was still not all that happy with them. Probably would have went better with some of that stretchy stuff but I had none.

sunderland-b45.jpg

sunderland-b46.jpg

sunderland-b47.jpg

sunderland-b48.jpg

sunderland-b49.jpg

sunderland-b50.jpg

The brass gun barrels don't show up all that well in the photos but they really make a big difference in the over all look of the model.

sunderland-b51.jpg

sunderland-b52.jpg

sunderland-b53.jpg

Over all I liked the kit a lot, I wish I had installed the connector pipes from the cylinders to the exhaust collector rings on the engines, it would have made them look better to my eye. This is a big plane and as such I probably could have spent another week doing weathering. It's a big canvas. Photos show a lot of paint chipping on the hulls, almost as bad as some of the Japanese aircraft. Since the panel lines are a bit large I felt a wash to highlight them was unnecessary so I didn't do it. I'm pleased with the overall look in spite of some warts.

Thanks for looking in and following along.

Beautiful job Gary! I feel your pain for rigging those little floats!

You did a fantastic job on all the ariels though! Looks great!

Wow (y) ; you may not care for 1/72, but, I'm sure this is a welcome addition for your display cabinet. Well done (y) :yipee

Very impressive build Gary . This really brings to life it's nick name of the flying Porcupine .

(y) (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys ! Yes Dave, way above the old Airfix kit. In spite of a few glitches it's a very nice kit and I think there are many who could do it more justice than I did.

OK, another photo finish. This kit did bring home a couple of things to me, one, why 1/72 is not my favorite scale and two, why I don't build WWI aircraft :gogo

I need to back track a little before posting the final walk around. I found that some of the PE parts supplied where just way too big for the scale, case in point the actuator horns for the ailerons. Way over sized and if that wasn't enough they located the slots for them in the wrong place, they should have been where the red arrows are in the photo below. I considered making my own but ran out of time.

sunderland-b42.jpg

Also over sized were the dipoles for the antennas, I ended up using the kit supplied ones for the transmitting antennas but replaced all the ones for the receiving antennas (all 24 or them) with fine wire. I used the PE parts for length then found that they were also too long and had to go back and trim them all. :facepalm The last part i found unusable was the brackets that support the exhaust dampers, way too big and really didn't fit the way they showed in the instructions.

Next is a photo of the bottom, the only one. Once I started putting parts on top there was no way I was going to attempt to turn it over again. By the time I had all the fiddly bits on top I was running out of ways to handle it safely.

sunderland-b41.jpg

Here are some walk around photos...

sunderland-b43.jpg

sunderland-b44.jpg

Rigging the floats nearly landed the build in the dust bin. I spent the better part of four hours doing it and was still not all that happy with them. Probably would have went better with some of that stretchy stuff but I had none.

sunderland-b45.jpg

sunderland-b46.jpg

sunderland-b47.jpg

sunderland-b48.jpg

sunderland-b49.jpg

sunderland-b50.jpg

The brass gun barrels don't show up all that well in the photos but they really make a big difference in the over all look of the model.

sunderland-b51.jpg

sunderland-b52.jpg

sunderland-b53.jpg

Over all I liked the kit a lot, I wish I had installed the connector pipes from the cylinders to the exhaust collector rings on the engines, it would have made them look better to my eye. This is a big plane and as such I probably could have spent another week doing weathering. It's a big canvas. Photos show a lot of paint chipping on the hulls, almost as bad as some of the Japanese aircraft. Since the panel lines are a bit large I felt a wash to highlight them was unnecessary so I didn't do it. I'm pleased with the overall look in spite of some warts.

Thanks for looking in and following along.
Great job Gary (y)

Back