• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Italeri Sunderland III

Well Christian, the fit of the portholes wasn't terrible but a few didn't fit flush and the fact that many of them had bubbles in them turned me off, might not bother others though. The super glue fix would probably work but me and super glue have issues and trying this would scare me ! Not sure about the landing light lenses, maybe mine were short shot. I could make a master and vacuform them but I don't need another project right now.

Hey Gary, I do the the wac form bit sometimes but it can be fiddly in 1/72 .

Please don't get yourself glued to something :sick: Just remember, if you go the superglue route to scotch tape the bottom half as this will shape the glue to the wing curvature and cut your work in half.

Five minute epoxy might work as well . Just make sure you have more than enough hardener to the mix.

Cheers, Christian B)

Well before trying anything messy I gave the old packing tape a try and it worked a treat. Hard to photograph because it's so clear, the left light has it the right does not...

sunderland-b32.jpg

sunderland-b33.jpg

I put on a piece larger than the opening then using a new X-acto blade cut around the outside about the width of the styrene I used to box the opening in with.

Problem solved !

Packing tape? What a great idea!

I really like the interior. Did it come with that anchor and line?

Yes it did Warren, the kit comes with a piece of thread for the line but I couldn't get it to cooperate so I replaced it with some solder. There is also a hook on a pole to hang on the wall as well.

Super build Gary, good save with the lens too (y)

if you are looking for something to show as the landing light try the clear plastic nubs you find on any clear piece sprues, usually attached to the canopies etc.

Thanks Phil, they actually supply the landing light in clear, that's why I drilled the hole in the back plate. I'm going to wait till painting is done before installing

OK, last thing to do before assembling the fuselage was to install the overhead console in the cockpit glass...

sunderland-b34.jpg

Fuselage together, wings and tail on, paint will be going down soon !

sunderland-b35.jpg

sunderland-b36.jpg

Thanks for looking !

Actually Bob, the overhead console will be more visible through the cockpit glass than most of the rest of the interior detail

Hi Christian, when they went from the Mk I to the Mk III they added the four gun rear turret, this changed the center of gravity and to compensate they swept the wings back a few degrees. Nothing else on the wing was changed so the engines point out as do the floats.

Hi Christian, when they went from the Mk I to the Mk III they added the four gun rear turret, this changed the center of gravity and to compensate they swept the wings back a few degrees. Nothing else on the wing was changed so the engines point out as do the floats.

Interesting. Must have made a challenge to fly with an engine out :facepalm

I still remember that outfit I worked for crashing a DC-7 on landing due to having an engine out.

Luckily , no one was hurt :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Back