• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 USCG Full Hull Vietnam Point Class Cutter

Cast the bodies and supply a brass barrel separate? Styrene stock?

Looks like you made the most of the ice day. :drinks

:gogo I would have to make hand grips, :hmmm charging handles, :silly: sights and ammo boxes. :bang head
1/700 37mm cannon barrel would look cool, even though the cooling jacket and barrel length would be incorrect. :facepalm
I spent a sleepless night last night considering this very option. :frantic
Brain too busy! :drool
Too much blood in my Alcohol Stream.

hd7535e5.JPG

Started on the 81 Mortar. I tried to decide whether it was more or less PIA to mold the propellers on the strut/bearing assemblies. I went with separate props. They will be fiddly no matter how they are molded. :hmmm
Simpler to add them to the Cutter after the shafts/struts/bearings are fitted to the bottom of the WPB.

h24c6a61.JPG

81 mortar on it's pour stub. The mount will need some finesse once it's cast.
I'm darned if I an find any 1/350 M2 Browning .50 caliber guns. I would womp some up, but I fear they would not mold or cast well. :bang head

:popcorn

This is coming along nicely. The small details you are putting into this is still kind of mind numbing to me, but they are looking good. Hope you can figure out the weapons systems. It amazes me that you are making them from scratch.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James!
I would have been delighted to discover a 3D printed 1/350 mk.29 81 mortar/.50 mount to include in the kit.
The stuff I can't buy I make. If it molds well, the mortar should be almost pretty good.

h3805f7a.JPG

A chunk of styrene tube, a bit of .20 card and some lucky fine sanding yields a forward gun platform. :dance
I hunted for a non-skid P/E base for it. No dice.

I couldn't resist drilling the closed chocks on the bow.

Thanks for looking in!

hed757f7.JPG

You never know what will affect a key piece of molding/casting equipment. The ol' Huskee had soldiered long, in all kinds of weather since 2014, only to be slain by an errant Varmint. Yes, the Magic Smoke came out of Him.

h9927ea0.JPG

Luckily a more modern, more portable replacement was on hand. Now the compressed air passes through a dryer as well.
Small advances here at TLAR Modles! :rotf

h9c66d54.JPG

Equipment boxes and forward gun platform in place!

h38b610a.JPG

h970ac43.JPG

I had a hard time figuring out how to mount the big WPB in a fashion that will let the air out of the RTV, and conversely, the urethane casting resin too. I only make the one full-hull model so far, so I'm in uncharted waters here. I spent a lot of time holding Her upside-down, and puzzling. :idonno

She's blocked on Her keel, and supported on both sides by other blocks. Little fillets make sure small cuts in the mold can be made to insure getting all the bubbles out while casting the big mold. I decided to mold the 14-foot Whaler vertically, like Orange Hobby does, Just to see how it works out.

There are 2 more molds with gun pedestals, screws, shaft supports, rudders, optional engine intake trunks, cabin door, 55 gallon barrels, upper mast radar platform, a 10-foot Zodiac, the Mk.29 81 mortar mount and ready ammo lockers. 1/700 p/e 20mm cannons will stand in for the 1/350 M2.50's.

hc5b7098.JPG

The 250 gram mold is (hopefully) a trade off between an uncrowded mold and flexibility so the 1/350 Point class cutter can be removed without damaging any fine details. She vanished under a a pink, viscous, surface this very morning. 60 psi & holding!! :yipee
I'm always a teeny bit anxious when the Master disappears. :frantic

My work space is oddly vacant with all this Springtime TLAR molding going on. :blink
Time call Reynold's Materials and get some more Stuff!

h010b627.jpg

I know the kind of things I make aren't everyone's cup o' tea. I appreciate your patronage and patience. :tomato
Thanks a lot for looking in!
:salute
:drinks

Chris , surely hoping that's not the latest self portrait :rotf :rotf :rotf

Looking forward to your upcoming visit (y) . I think it's gonna be a gas :rotf Cheers, Christian B)

The master looks great and I hope the mold turns out well so you get good castings out of it.

Nice motivational photo at the end with nice terrain features :)

Cheers,
James

Chris , surely hoping that's not the latest self portrait :rotf :rotf :rotf

Looking forward to your upcoming visit (y) . I think it's gonna be a gas :rotf Cheers, Christian B)

As luck will have it, bad luck, I'm going to be out of town that week you're here. Maybe next trip?

Master O'Leary, Sir.
Kellie is about 5 foot nuthin. I fear Her impressive superstructure and narrow hull profile may cause Her to tend to wallow in following Seas. A fine, Classic Vessel. Lovely lines, narrow at the stern and a bluff bow. Lively & fast. Extremely fast, if handled by an experienced Skipper. :eek:ldguy :woohoo: :pinch:

I tend to make a Post about every, little, teeny, detail. I realize I can be overly enthusiastic about my dinky projects/ideas. Master Mike is responsible for this behavior. HE got me started on M/A!

Markie,
When next we meet, I'll bring you resin model ship treasures to stagger even a Duck's imagination!

Pup, I'll leave presents for you with Master Mike. You MUST see Him at least, face to face! Don't make me bring the Visible Cow kit as a gift as well!! I'll DO IT! :bat

I just cast Mold #4 with the compressor inside the house. Much to the dismay of Felines that actually inhabit my humble, rustic, rural home. :rotf :pp :stinker (That was fun to watch, and impossible for even ME to describe) OMAFA! Kitty-pusses in The Vertical! :evil: I'm wicked! I know it!! :snoopy
It's a good thing I just changed the litter box! :facepalm

Thanks you Men for your kindnesses.

Look at this Purty Thang!!

h09c1940.JPG

h3894b5d.JPG

First casting of the big mold for the 1/350 Point class Cutter! :yipee
The 2 smaller parts molds as well! I hate to waste mold space, unless it is necessary, so not all the boats/parts/guns are for the Big Cutter. I wanted some extra scale boat model stuff!!! :rotf

hc5093ac.JPG

Stern view. 3 lights and exhaust ports visible just above the waterline. :hmmm

h574b77a.JPG

I don't want anyone to think this is a perfect mold/casting. It is NOT! there are little bubbles on a few parts, but they are in places not hard to clip/sand/shape. The Whaler's transom attachment point was too fine, so some surgical mold trimming was neccessary.
I'm calling this one a winner!! I could not be more pleased with this Vessel so far!

I was so excited, I cast a second set of new molds tonight!

Even if there are some tiny bubbles (not the song sung by Don Ho ), the casting looks pretty good to me.

Now paint one of those up so we can see what it looks like. :)

Cheers,
James

Aye Aye, Master O'Leary! I shall make it so!

In truth, I build all my own models so I can write the instructions for the Kit along the way. (Hey! If I can build A TLAR Model kit, anyone can!!)
One hull casting needs to go to Mark at Starfighter Decals, so He can make authentic decals that fit the Ship.
I like to involve as many American companies as possible with TLAR. My company! My decision!!
Take THAT! Chi-Coms!! OH! AND two! My instructions are in ENGLISH! Double "Take That"!! :pp PFFGHT!

With the arrival of more urethane resin, and fresh RTV silicone mold compound, Maintenance recommends a PM for the pressure vessel & compressor, to insure quality and to prevent any unscheduled decompression events! :frantic

Seems wise, No?!
h54c877c.JPG

Heat lower chamber while steaming the upper level platform. Remove all resin residue. Clean & dry.

h3d10534.JPG

Clean, dry, polished sealing surfaces, and make sure the Seal is clean & dry. (Leave the Walrus dirty!)
New hermetic coverings for upper & lower casting platforms. Ready to go back to work!

Not a whole lot of expensive equipment for the fledging TLAR Models facility. Lots of imagination, music, and laughter! :rotf

Back