• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 USCG Full Hull Vietnam Point Class Cutter

ha6a2e79.JPG

h033d1b3.jpg

h0bc1db5.JPG

Working on the foredeck details. Bollard plate and spray shield in progress. I'm still figgerin' out the bow hatch.
Thanks for lookin' in!!
:rotf

After 31 days of doing Crap Show jobs, I was on my last nerve. Some interesting news was shared by my employer today
that gives me hope for the coming spring.
THEN! the Model-Mojo flowed!
I did this before I left to make my late-working Valentine supper.

hd61808e.JPG

h280cfe4.JPG

Too short to be a Bulwark. Too far aft to be a spray shield, 82's have this detail along their after-deck edges. The Starboard side is just the way I wished for it to be. The Port side shows how this bit of detail begins.
After hatches, hull rub strips, hull stiffeners, intake trunks, equipment boxes, gun platform and forward gun platform left to add to the hull assembly. I have all the parts, it's just a question of getting off my ass and doing it!!
I hope to be ready to mold (?!?) this Big Cutter in a couple of weeks. :rotf
Thanks for looking in!

Crap Show? That anything like a sh!t show? You're a plumber, what did you expect, roses? :rotf

Lookin' good! :captain

I hoped for free Bubble-Up and Rainbow Stew. Oh Wait! Those are only for SSI recipients. BFA! :rotf
Funny Tiki!! :stinker

hf2fa18a.JPG

hbceb063.JPG

After deck edge shields, hull rub strips and lower hull stiffeners in place. :yipee
She is starting to look very Point-class-ish!

h281f862.JPG

Prop shaft bosses on the lower hull and holes for rudders.
Still some fine tuning to do, but coming along nicely!

Thanks for looking in!
:salute

h0ddbfc1.JPG

Working on rudders screws and prop shaft supports.
The camera reveals flaws in the rudders. Yes Men, I will fill & sand these bitty parts smooth.
:gogo
:silly:
Thanks Gary! I will confess this Vessel is a challenge for me because of Her comparatively large size!
There doesn't seem to be a Emoji for "Brain Damage" :rotf
Thanks to all you Men for looking in!

h0ddbfc1.JPG

Working on rudders screws and prop shaft supports.
The camera reveals flaws in the rudders. Yes Men, I will fill & sand these bitty parts smooth.
:gogo
:silly:
Thanks Gary! I will confess this Vessel is a challenge for me because of Her comparatively large size!
There doesn't seem to be a Emoji for "Brain Damage" :rotf
Thanks to all you Men for looking in!

This is still looking excellent! Nice work!

Oh, and the closest thing we have for "Brain Damage" is: :bang head and :gogo

Looking forward to seeing more....

h862f23f.jpg

Interesting shot of USCGC Point Ledge (?!) after a big blow in the Caribbean. What's in a Name, right?
h436d588.JPG

Struts & shaft bearings underway. I'm attempting to duplicate the rake of the shaft supports. :bang head
The Modeler will have to do a bit of sand & fit to get them just so. I would cast them on the lower hull to make it less fiddly, but I doubt they would mold all that well. :idonno

Great ref shot of the hull. Is that like a centerboard running the keel? look at me getting my navy lingo on...:rotf

The visible part of the stickie-outie thingie in the middle, on the bottom of the hull is the Keel. The keel runs from bow to stern, but is not quite so stickie-outie on the rest of the Cutter. The two little hangie-downie flat thingies underneath the back are rudders. The blurry fan-lookin' jobbies in the shadow of the hull are "Screws" or propellers.

Does that help?!?
:rotf :yipee :frantic :rotf :yipee :drinks :captain :bat :salute

Thanks Ian!
h0b1f692.JPG

It was a pretty good night for deck details. Aft bollard plate, after fuel hatch, after engineering hatch, engine intake trunks, Handle on forward hatch and forward closed bow chocks (These will need drilling after casting)

I'm all about the nomenclature! No offense 'Pup!

hd7535e5.JPG

Started on the 81 Mortar. I tried to decide whether it was more or less PIA to mold the propellers on the strut/bearing assemblies. I went with separate props. They will be fiddly no matter how they are molded. :hmmm
Simpler to add them to the Cutter after the shafts/struts/bearings are fitted to the bottom of the WPB.

h24c6a61.JPG

81 mortar on it's pour stub. The mount will need some finesse once it's cast.
I'm darned if I an find any 1/350 M2 Browning .50 caliber guns. I would womp some up, but I fear they would not mold or cast well. :bang head

Back