• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 USCG Full Hull Vietnam Point Class Cutter

She is looking good to me. It is perhaps you are used to working in a certain scale so when you are working in another, things may seem a bit off. I don't build ships, but I know when dealing with figures, when I am away from my 1/35th scale comfort zone, working on figures in other scales sometimes seems a bit off in regards to equipment and weapon sizes. Sometimes they are off. I'd go by what your instruments are telling you.

Cheers,
James

Thanks Guys!
Of all people, I should know to "trust the gauges". :eek:ldguy :pilot
James makes a fine point. :salute
This 1/350 model has a bottom, so my eyes are looking at much more WPB than my brain is used to seeing. :facepalm
Damn the Martinis! Full speed ahead!
:captain

h5e151e0.JPG

My Red sauce. :yipee

hc77cc0d.JPG

Stern view of deckhouse, engine intake trunks, and spray shields. Still room enough in between for the main deck hatch and bridge ladder!

h5300b02.JPG

Starboard profile. She's beginning to look like a Point class WPB. Semper Paratus, Baby!
Wow! This is gonna be a BIG mold! comparatively.

Thanks for looking in!
:captain :salute

Funny 'Pup! Not so far. :idonno
I never did plan to do a whole bunch of 1/350 ANYTHING.
You never know.
You just Never can tell.
:hmmm

Thanks Men! The BIG Cutter is not an easy project. I appreciate your support!

hf267489.JPG

h4929afd.JPG

hce46400.JPG

Bridge roof, bridge windows, and spray shield stiffeners in place. Work continues on the 14' Boston Whaler the Vietnam era Point class WPB's carried.

hc3f16a3.png

From a casual observer's point of view, my thread may seem repetitive, as small improvements to not seem too apparent.
A bit o' decoration, perhaps?
h46091a0.JPG

Foredeck sheer line installed and shaped. I thought including a basic shipping cradle in the Kit might be a good Idea! :facepalm

hf90978d.jpg

API photo credit from 1965. 82's loaded to cross the Blue Pacific.

Thanks for looking in! :notworthy

I cain't speak for all y'all, but I learned as a Modeler, my brain works differently than other Men's brains.
I drank almost a full pot of good strong coffee, hanging out in my underpants today. I studied, measured compared details of Point class WPB's on-line. I's so concerned about accuracy, I almost did nothing.
There isn't any rush. She's a model, so She won't run off or eat anything. Never gets jealous. Never cries about the hundreds of other model kits in the house..........
Wow! I'm a lucky Man!!

hf277521.JPG

Life rings centers punched out of .020 evergreen, centered the centers, and punched out the outside diameters. Fixed to the spray shield, and sanded to scale thin-ness. Deckhouse ventilator looks about right, but needs a little more finesse.

So I DID do something! :rotf :yipee

Glad to know I am not the only one who sometimes conducts research the same way. lol. You are doing a great job building this vessel. I don't think even with a magnifier I'd be able to make something this scale. My hat is off to you.

Cheers,
James

My thanks Mr. O'Leary!

Once I figure out what details will cast in the mold, and which ones need to be separate, that will speed things. Rudders, screws, shaft support carriers and 81mm mortar & guns will all be separate parts.

I am humbled by your sentiments! :zen

I hope 'Pup will find some comfort in the news that I put my pajamas on following the last post.
It's been "Perfect Pajama Saturday" here. Modeleing, spaghetti & meatballs, "Justified" on the DVD player.
I didn't have to leave the House all day. :zen :yipee
I realized I forgot the "Decoration" on the last post. :facepalm

h49ac8c0.JPG

My Neighbor is a Mermaid. I cain't say how She paints her fingernails underwater. :idonno

h05873a6.JPG

The 14-foot Boston Whaler has Her helm. The upside-down 40hp Johnson outboard is a mite big (65hp?) but I'm going with it.

he7e0778.JPG

Silly old Mr. Clownie. Still getting into ever'thang!

Thanks for looking in!
:salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

Back