Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The War To End All Wars, 100th Anniversary

Start on Jan 31, 2014
End 11:00 Nov 11, 2018

TOPIC: GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (some details 1-14)

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 07 Dec 2017 23:37 #97

Thanks guys! The jig was mainly intended for the larger 1/32nd scale kits. Especially those like the Gotha and FelixStowe. There are others though that have several sets of wing struts that can get real tricky to get all lined up and make them stay that way while gluing them. It is real advantageous to be able to jig the tricky stuff in place, double, triple, quadruple check it then just add glue and walk off and let it dry.

Makes for less trouble, a better model, and much better glue joins as moving them around while they dry or set up weakens them. (sometimes A LOT) I can also see where it might be helpful to keep the plane in the jig while putting in the rigging. I use nylon monofilament thread and have a way to get it right though flexing of the model could cause problems.

Also doing this build has made me think up a couple of new small jig bits to use instead of the blocks that I am currently using.

I am also thinking about doing some redesign of the jig and posting the drawings to you guys if you want to make your own base parts. If you have a drill press and are a little handy with tools you could probably make most of your own main parts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 11 Dec 2017 15:04 #98

That would be a cool idea.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 16 Dec 2017 01:29 #99

Got another cold (weird, 2 in as many months) I will try and get some paint on the wee beastie this weekend. The part I hate the most is spraying paint ( or at least to get "started" spraying paint) Once I get going it moves along well usually, it's just the getting started that holds me back always has I think.

Usually it takes a little of this:

I think I am afraid of doing this:

But nothing ventured nothing gained.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 16 Dec 2017 07:31 #100

Im the same way, a bad paint job can spoil a whole project so tend to put of starting for as long as possible but once I get started it usually works out. I probably need more practse with my arbrush to buld up more confdence, good luck !! :thumbsup
  • tom1815
  • tom1815
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 16 Dec 2017 07:55 #101

:popcorn
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 16 Dec 2017 14:30 #102

I think it ends up being the hassle factor with mixing, matching, cleaning (stinking) that kind of throws me off as well. I usually don't have too much trouble as I use the same paints I have used for years. Just have to get started.

Today that might be difficult as I am really not feeling all that well. Sinuses are full and head just aches. Hard to concentrate on much. Might go in and do a thorough cleaning and straightening up of the hobby space. It needs it, especially the paint booth table. It gets used the least so it gets piled up the most. Need it to be fairly clean to keep the dust down.

Anyway, thanks for posting guys, it is appreciated. Have this build to the turning point. Have been going over the painting stuff in my head the last week or so. Have the process worked out, just need to do it.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 30 Dec 2017 04:03 #103

I got started on the plywood painting this evening. So far so good, it is coming along fairly well, though my masks are getting a little ratty looking. It is a bit of a chore trying to get the PE mask to set down well enough to get some definition when I spray the paint. I will get some photos tomorrow Still have about 1/2 the fuselage to mask and spray the plywood patterns.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 30 Dec 2017 14:21 #104

Bob made a comment over on my Me-323 thread,
moon puppy wrote:
You have lots of Step by Steps on painting wood around here Paul, should be easy for ya. Git'er Done. :popcorn

I have it going well, the hard part is having to mask off the individual panels and get the mask to set down. A bigger model would actually have been much easier on this, but it is working. Once I add the "staining" it will blend the patterning down and should look decent enough. Photos a little later.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 31 Dec 2017 03:15 #105

It has been a little while since I posted some progress. Well, there is some progress to show and here we go.

As usual more to come!

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 31 Dec 2017 03:19 #106

Paint time in this installment.

And the crowd goes wild.
Doing the bit I tend to shy away from.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-06) 31 Dec 2017 08:16 #107

Looks good Paul. :thumbsup
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-31) 31 Dec 2017 16:20 #108

Wow! Magnificent work on those panels! Amazing!

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds