Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The War To End All Wars, 100th Anniversary

Start on Jan 31, 2014
End 11:00 Nov 11, 2018

TOPIC: GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (last build details)

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-31) 01 Jan 2018 02:02 #109

Always enjoy your builds :popcorn

:notworthy:
"Damn they made me put out the candle"

The administrator has disabled public write access.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-31) 01 Jan 2018 03:34 #110

Watching this with interest Paul. Looks fantastic so far. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
  • razordws
  • razordws
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier
DAVE

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-31) 01 Jan 2018 03:34 #111

Thanks Bob, Mark, Jeff, and Dave for your kind comments.

I have managed to get the plywood panels all plywooded. Then a thin coat of medium tan mixed with Testors flat to tone down the contrast a little. Tomorrow I will spray some Tamiya clear orange and yellow to give it a varnished look as well as add a little line work for the panel lines. Then I will give some paint to the wings. They should be easy compared to the plywood.
Last Edit: 01 Jan 2018 03:45 by Heavens Eagle. Reason: Dave snuck a post in on me :)

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-31) 02 Jan 2018 00:53 #112

I have been busy the last few days. Taking advantage of having a few days off to get past this paint hurdle. I was dreading this part the most. I believe the plywood on the fuselage came out pretty good. Let me know what you think.

Yes I made it a little orange on purpose. Maybe a bit too much, but this was a first go at this process. I did want a dark fuselage on this. The photos all showed a dark finish on the fuselages even though they were B&W I suspected a darker finish. I might try a lighter finish on one of the 1/32 scale kits just to see how it turns out.

Let me know what you think and thanks for looking in!

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (new pics 12-31) 02 Jan 2018 06:14 #113

For a first try Paul, I think you nailed it!!

Looks awesome!!

:drinks
  • sharkman
  • sharkman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
Warren

On the Bench: Lost count!

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (plywood done 1-1) 02 Jan 2018 08:40 #114

That looks supremely realistic! I think you nailed the color perfectly!

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (plywood done 1-1) 02 Jan 2018 10:22 #115

Nice job Paul!
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (plywood done 1-1) 02 Jan 2018 10:58 #116

That is looking SWEET!

:notworthy:
"Damn they made me put out the candle"

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (plywood done 1-1) 02 Jan 2018 14:00 #117

Thanks everyone!

Overall, I am quite happy with how it turned out I do need to get another one of the RB Productions masks as it is starting to tatter. I had to trim the thick strengthening sides down to a thread to make it work on this small kit. They actually have 4 different PE masks out for the plywood stuff and they do work fairly well.

So here is the process:
  1. Base paint the light color overall.
  2. Mix a contrasting tan or brown color, somewhat thin so it can spray a thin swath with low pressure. Only need a few drops.
  3. Mask off a panel and spray your darker color. It helps to spray from about an inch to an inch and a half away.
    I repeat, low air pressure, as the masks don't tend to set all the way down.
  4. Do several panels and then mix a slightly different color.
  5. Be sure to swap masks and positions you spray through.
  6. If you have a panel that is a little light on detail do a second spray with the new color. Be sure to align the markings so it goes the same directions.
  7. When all the panels are done, it will look rather stark and most of the plywood on aircraft is not so stark. As I use enamels, I mixed some medium tan with Testors clear flat and lightly spray this over all the panels. It adds a little protection and subdues the contrast a little.
  8. Do that lightly and a little at a time. You can always add more but can't remove it once it is sprayed on.
  9. Let it dry a bit!
  10. Now the tricky part mixing the Tamiya clear colors to get the right orange tinge.
  11. Mix mostly clear yellow. Add some orange to the yellow. No more than 1 part orange to 2 parts yellow. Less will give a lighter tint. If you really want an aged look add 1 drop of clear red (ONLY 1 Drop), a partial drop is better. The red has a little different tone than the orange and even mixed with the yellow will give a reddish cast.
  12. We are only talking about 14 drops yellow, 6 drops orange, and 1 drop of red here. Easy to mix more. Add thinner, I used the Tamiya thinner to get it right.
  13. Spray in light layers to get the desired coloring, and then set it aside to dry fully.

I am thinking that I will try it with more yellow and less orange when I do the next one.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (plywood done 1-1) 15 Jan 2018 00:55 #118

I have a little update. Mostly just detail stuff, but I felt that it needed to be done before the wings got painted. Once they are painted, the flat coat will go on and that will blend it down.

Thanks for looking in and hope you like what you see.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (plywood done 1-1) 15 Jan 2018 07:09 #119

I'm surprised no one has come up with brass control horns for us. Guess we have to keep making them ourselves Paul.

Looks good!
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

GAVIA 1/48 Albatros D.I (plywood done 1-1) 15 Jan 2018 08:00 #120

Very nice work and I think the mask work came out great,especially for the scale. The other alternative was to add printed wood decals and risk obscuring details under the film.

Regards,
Saúl Garcí­a
Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man,
Well, it surely means that I don't know

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds