• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Grumman Widgeon

phantom II

Master at Arms
Just a little Widgeon between us :coolio

A Grumman Widgeon that is...

h705c017.JPG

While sitting here at idle and trying to solve the JU 88 issue, I discovered this kit and fell head over head over heals for it :love

h9bff625.JPG

The build started here . After some basic scribbing I realized the the vac form side windows were hopeless , so I pulled out an old jewel case and cut out six windows.

Sanded and polished to fit did not take as long as I had thought .

h547b3b6.JPG

Came out quite well . After that I did a bit of figuring trying to get the kit interior installed but that require fitting parts and making the bulkhead.

h21e2612.JPG

Then came the seats . I had to cannibalise some from my spare box and making sure they were narrow enough made it difficult to find.

I used the only kit seats in the cabin. They seem to be more at home there anyhow.

h67688a8.JPG

It's suppose to be a five passenger plane but since Pavla did not include them I thought I would throw a crate back there but in the end, it could not be seen so I'll save the crate.

There is no aft wheel well, so one is now glued in. Hole still pending.

h2e1cef0.JPG

After that, I applied Mr Mike gel glue to the top of one fuselage half and aligned it till it fit.

h554fd14.JPG

After the upper part was cured , it was sanded to fit .

h6d0eaa1_2018-07-11-2.JPG

After that the upper line were scribbed . I have figured that fine line tape is exceedingly good for straight lines

h73790d9_2018-07-11.JPG

Unique subject. Looks good so far.
:popcorn

Yes it is Mike . Airfix is the only other manufacturer that attempted to make one ( I have it also ).

I think it will be considerably easier to build one from this though.

Thanks for looking in .

Cheers, Christian B)

I'm liking the thick Dr. Mike stuff, looks like you did also. (y)

It definitely has it's place . I have been using another gel for things like this for a couple of years now but this, combined with the dispenser makes it a much nicer product.

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking good! Glad to see you back at it. :tomato

:drinks

Thanks Mike . Sort of annoying when you have two projects stuck for the same silly reason ( lack of seats ) .

Anyhow, I have been slowly picking at this one but not posting . Pickelball has been absorbing a lot of my time & energy.

Cheers, Christian B)

Oooo....got my attention!!

:popcorn :popcorn

I thought it might. Another iron works.

Interesting to find out how many people on line fly ,own or work on them .

Cheers , Christian B)

That is interesting since they didn't make many, I think the total was just over 300.

Actually , I show 504 plus another 317 built by the French . The are still being rebuilt and and upgraded to date.

If I was lucky enough to own a plane, this would probably be my choice . It'll pretty much fly anywhere you might want to go and fairly affordable ( relatively ). And Grumman tough.

Cheers, Christian B)

h49bb5f9.JPG

I have made a bit more progress . These short run birds merit some planing as to what next needs to be . :coolio

Whatever that center keel fairing might be called is what I used to glue the bottom . It also helped to fill the gap .

Next, came several doublers running the length of the fuselage and some hatches.

h35d16b4.JPG

hb6bc6e5.jpg

Having survived those steps , the most likely thing seemed to be the wings . Not gonna tell you that they were perfection but here they are , after a good bit of trimming .

h22b8aa7.JPG

Still had to add some shims to fill gaps add trying to get this one to the right dihedral .

Think I'll work on the engines while this sets up.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back