• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Who makes good helicopter models?

The Zod

I am seriously thinking of building a helicopter model. No,it is not the end of the world. :gogo

I would like to build an MI-28 Havoc. I see DML,Revell,and Italeri makes them. I wish to build 1/72. I'd ask if there are any shark teeth decals for them,but I doubt if any are made. :pilot

Instead of the Mi-28, look at the Kamov Ka-50 Hokum known as the Black Shark. I nice kit is available from Zvezda and re-boxed by Italeri.

KamovHokumShark1.jpg

Decals are available for the kit.

Another Kamov product available as a kit is the Ka-27:

KA-27PS2B232BG.jpg

You'd have to make your own markings.

Hobby Boss makes a nice M-17 and decals can be found for this and others:

Mi-17checo01.jpg

Yet, no one makes this kit; the Mi-14:

MI-14PL_1011_PN_280206_1.jpg

It would be a HEAVY conversion of the Hip.

Larger and more choices are available for the Mi-24 Hind.

Of course, there is also the Mi-26 available from Zvezda and re-boxed by Revell Germany with the sharkmouth:

Mi-26FuerzaareadeBielorusiaMachoolishchiABcercadeMinsk2005.jpg

Since the Zvezda kit is cheaper, that may be a route to go if you find the separate decals available for it.

Regards,

Saul
Thanks for the info. That Hokum is one evil looking chopper. It will make a good zombie slayer.

As one who has built or is building every one of those helicopters (that there is a kit of) I can say that the Kamov Hokum kit is a tough one to get lined up right and seams sanded smooth. I did keep breaking the main gun, and had issues maintaining the main rotor shaft intact while trying to fix the joint between the forward and aft fuselage. It does build intro a nice model though:

RussianKa50WHokumI.jpg

This is the Italeri Mi-28 Havoc that I built as well. This one apparently never got clear-coated after the decals as some of them have flaked off when I dusted it. Time to rectify that.

RussianMi-28Havoc.jpg

This Havoc was a dream to build. It went together better than any helicopter I've built to date except for the Hobby Boss Huey.

You can see that unfortunately I have been unable to get sharkmouth decals for these. They didn't come in the kits but these are still some nice looking models when built.

I know this may not help much, but at least you can see how these look when built.

Back