• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Who has used Stencilit products?

The Zod

Has anyone used those Stencilit PE stuff? I am looking for an alternate of using a lot of dry transfer/decals for for 2111 builds. I am adding the crew names to the three vehicles.

Chad, I don't use them in the way they are designed as I find it's tough to do over anything other than a large perfectly flat surface. Trying to paint a large star on the hood of a half track is tough due to hinges and all that, the paint bleed under is hard to avoid.

However, what I do use them for is creating stencils from masking tape. I use the PE stencil as a guide for the knife to cut out the star and circle and then just stick it to the hood. No bleed under as it shapes easily to odd surfaces.

I'll try to find my photo...

You can see one here, made from blue painters masking tape and cut using a photo etch template.

B)

STENCIL.jpg

Ken,thanks for the masking tape tip. is that type in the paint section at a hardware area? Also,would I peel the tape off when the paint is wet,or dry? :drinks

Just an extra tip on tape...I have had trouble with the blue painters tapes peeling off my paint before. Shurtape has another brand of tape that is actually only sold at Sherwin Williams that is a dead wringer for Tamiya tape. It is a HUGE roll and I have had it for over a year and have barely used it. It was $12 which the guy thought was a little crazy to be spending on painters tape, but considering how much you spend on a small Tamiya dispenser roll-- well...it has been a pretty good investment for me...

Mike,

It would help if you name the product!
;)

Shurtape Gold CP-60 although they have other sizes. Click the picture for more information.

Regards,

Chad,

Like Ken, I avoid using the large stencils but I have used the smaller ones since the over spray is a natural occurrence on many of the smaller markings.

Regards,

Back