• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Volvo Converted F6 Fire Ladder Truck

tiking

This build came about by converting and scratch building, the old Italeri Volvo F6 Fire ladder kit. I had bought this a couple of years ago at an exhibition together with other second hand kits for little or nothing. I did not know what to do with the kit, until recent. So, it is no more a fire truck but an old beaver-tail machine transport carrier. I see most enthusiast convert old trucks into other types of themes to suit their intensions. This might carry a lot of load but ,we'll consider this a private farmer or truck company wanting to have easy access to transport small and medium size machinery to their destination without renting.

The diesel tank was taken from another truck model as the original would not accommodate the space. So I took a cylindrical tank, cut 1/3 of the tank and made it to fit the space. I got the idea for a smaller tank from a photo of the Scania model that inspired this build. The rear angle chassi C-bracket was taken from another truck model that I used to mount on his truck, after some minor modifications.

WIP:

I borrow the photo of the Italeri fire ladder Volvo kit from another thread:

-------------------------------------

Complete:

I loved seeing the amount of scratch building on this Charles! The finished truck is over the top, and the weathering is so very realistic. Only vehicles that have set and weathered for long periods of time ever really get paint super chipped and rusty. While that can look interesting it isn't at all realistic. Dirt, grease, scratches, dust, all that does happen, and your build shows all of that. I truly love it!

3D-Great Job.gif
BEEP yes sm.jpg

I loved seeing the amount of scratch building on this Charles! The finished truck is over the top, and the weathering is so very realistic. Only vehicles that have set and weathered for long periods of time ever really get paint super chipped and rusty. While that can look interesting it isn't at all realistic. Dirt, grease, scratches, dust, all that does happen, and your build shows all of that. I truly love it!

View attachment 147732View attachment 147733

My humble thanks. Much appreciated.

You've gone and done it again bud. Well done!! Can you describe the process that you painted the wheels and tires with?

You've gone and done it again bud. Well done!! Can you describe the process that you painted the wheels and tires with?
Thank you. No real process. The tyres were already rubber to begin with; as I took tyres from the many spare I had on hand. I just dusted the tyres with some grey pigment. Other times I used real dust. But not much weathering on the tyres. The rims were painted using automotive spray paint. Did some very minor stippling around the edges to produce some minor rust effects. I am in the process of finishing off the truck with more details, like rear stabilizers, extra air tanks, tool box, tie-downs, as well ratches and bindors.
Another masterpiece. I love your conversions.

Thank you kindly

Here are some updates. The list reads as follows: 1. Added two tool box, one on each side. 2. Air tank on the left front side with support brackets. 3. Tyre recess or support bracket/s. 4. And most important, stabilizers at the rear. ( thanks to Håkan Zaar, for this tip). The stabilizers are hydraulics. Simple manuell construction. 5. Extra platform supports for vehicles that are too shallow for the front lower section of the transport.

Last edited:
Back