• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vignette I made for my Grandson's birthday

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
My grandson's birthday is coming up this weekend, and I had already made him a few vehicles for his collection, but I wanted to put one into a vignette to hopefully get him interested in making models again. Since he likes Kubelwagens and WW2 German uniforms, I decided to place those two elements into a vignette for his display shelf. The Kubelwagen can be seen in my thread about the old Tamiya model. For the vignette I will have the Kubelwagen in the center and will have a German Soldier taking a photograph of another German Soldier leaning up against the vehicle. And I will probably include a cat somewhere in the vignette since my grandson likes cats, too

The photographer is a Bravo 6 figure that I painted in less than 8 hours which is pretty fast for me. I built it straight from the box as the figure was intended to be built. I painted him wearing gray trousers and a reed green tunic. I think he turned out OK for something done so quickly. My step-son and his wife made a surprise visit last week so I wasn't able to start on the figures last week like I had originally planned. Now I have a few days to get this completed. :)

Here is the photographer

Before placing the camera and hands onto the figure.

100_5238.JPG

Now with the camera.

100_5240.JPG

100_5241.JPG

100_5244.JPG

100_5248.JPG

100_5250.JPG

Now on to the next figure...

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
James

Making a vignette for my Grandson's birthday

Cool, he's very lucky to have such a talented Grampa building him a vignette. That would be an awesome gift to receive. I hope you can get him back into the hobby and Happy Birthday to him also.
James

Thanks, Guys. I will pass on your birthday wishes to him.

I think he will like this vignette. It features his favorite German soft skin vehicle - the Kubelwagen, German camo smock on the guy near the Kubelwagen, and a cat that looks like his cat Whiskers, so I think he will enjoy those aspects of the vignette.

I took pictures of the process of painting the camo pattern which was quite easy, but since I am trying to get this completed by tomorrow morning, I won't post them yet. I am just waiting for the base coat on some of the accessories to dry so I figured I would post some pics of the vignette so far.

Like I had mentioned before, the cameraman is from Bravo 6. The other guy is a figure from Masterbox's German Tank Hunters kit with a Hornet head. I painted him with acrylics.

The cat is from Mantis Miniatures and the group of boxes and crates was in a box of extra stuff so I don't really remember where I originally got it, but I recently came across it again so I decided to include it in the vignette.

Here are the photos:

100_5325.JPG

100_5326.JPG

100_5327.JPG

100_5329.JPG

100_5330.JPG

100_5331.JPG

100_5332.JPG

100_5333.JPG

100_5334.JPG

100_5335.JPG

100_5336.JPG

100_5337.JPG

100_5338.JPG

100_5339.JPG

100_5340.JPG

100_5341~0.JPG

100_5342.JPG

100_5343.JPG

100_5345.JPG

100_5346.JPG

Well, the base coat on the accessories is dry so I got to go.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
James

Very nice James. I really like how you got the mud just right, a bit dry yet wet.

Thanks, MP. Although I was trying to go for a similar effect of mud in the process of drying, this just happened to turn out this way. I was thinking that it would have been too flat in finish and that I would have to drybrush some satin varnish on it, but there was enough gloss in the highlight colors that I did not have to do so. Worked out good and saved some time and work.

Cheers,
James

Vignette I made for my Grandson

Here are the final photos of the completed project - just in time for my grandson's birthday party. I was going to add some more equipment, but it did not turn out very well in the rush, so I decided to just add weapons and helmets.

These photos focus more on the Masterbox figure and his camo pattern than the last set of photos did. I think I could have just had the Kubelwagen and the Soldier in a scene by themselves, but the rest makes for more of a scene and story plus it contains the added elements of different uniforms and the cat.

Here are the latest photos:

100_5349.JPG

100_5350.JPG

100_5353.JPG

100_5356.JPG

100_5362.JPG

100_5365.JPG

100_5366.JPG

100_5368.JPG

100_5369.JPG

100_5373.JPG

100_5376.JPG

100_5377_28229.JPG

100_5388.JPG

100_5390.JPG

Before I placed the group of boxes onto the base, I wrote a note and signed it so when my grandson is older and is on Antiques Roadshow he can bring this where they will be amazed at him having one of James O'Leary's personalized works and it will be worth millions. (y)

100_5391.JPG

OK, in reality, it will just show that he is loved and his grandpa made him something special that I hope he will cherish.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

Here are the final photos of the completed project - just in time for my grandson's birthday party. I was going to add some more equipment, but it did not turn out very well in the rush, so I decided to just add weapons and helmets.

These photos focus more on the Masterbox figure and his camo pattern than the last set of photos did. I think I could have just had the Kubelwagen and the Soldier in a scene by themselves, but the rest makes for more of a scene and story plus it contains the added elements of different uniforms and the cat.

Here are the latest photos:

100_5349.JPG

100_5350.JPG

100_5353.JPG

100_5356.JPG

100_5362.JPG

100_5365.JPG

100_5366.JPG

100_5368.JPG

100_5369.JPG

100_5373.JPG

100_5376.JPG

100_5377_28229.JPG

100_5388.JPG

100_5390.JPG

Before I placed the group of boxes onto the base, I wrote a note and signed it so when my grandson is older and is on Antiques Roadshow he can bring this where they will be amazed at him having one of James O'Leary's personalized works and it will be worth millions. (y)

100_5391.JPG

OK, in reality, it will just show that he is loved and his grandpa made him something special that I hope he will cherish.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

As MP said, I too like the mud! Kid likes cats? Positive sign he’s a great kid!

HAPPY 13TH TO HIM!

Thanks, Guys. He really enjoyed it and placed it on a prominent place on his display shelf so he can see it better and show his friends. I passed on the birthday wishes from y'all and he said to tell you thanks.

Cheers,
James

As MP said, I too like the mud! Kid likes cats? Positive sign he’s a great kid!

HAPPY 13TH TO HIM!

Yes, he likes cats. He loves coming over to our house as we have a bunch of barn cats. The original set of barn cats I found in our tractor shed when we'd come home on the weekends when I was at Fort Sill and Fort Hood before I retired. Initially they were very stand-offish and stayed away from us when I'd feed them. Then the male started to come out and hang out with me and the other cats became friendlier. Then the females had kittens. They were born out in the woods, but eventually the mother cats brought them closer and closer to the house so we could help take care of them. Now they all seem pretty tame and I can pet them all and they come out to greet me whenever I go outside and walk our dog. They will follow us around the property like we are on patrol or something. Only two will come inside and they won't stay inside very long. The rest just like to hang out around the yard in the various sheds and under trees. We were able to get them all fixed so we won't have anymore kittens popping up. They are fun to watch as they each have their own unique personality.

Wow, that is a fantastic present for your grandson! Way to go James! Most impressive work and I'm glad that he loves it so much. I also love cats and I couldn't help smiling at your story of all those barn cats.

You da man!

Back