• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Viet Cong Guerrilla, Vietnam 1966

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
I only have one picture of this one. This figure is a conversion of a DML/Dragon Viet Cong. As it was one of their first kits, the detail wasn't quite as good as the Dragon kits are known for now. This figure was originally built to be part of a diorama, but then I got sent to Iraq and never finished the diorama. When I started working on models a month ago, I used this figure to use as a test subject for doing groundwork again prior to starting the figures I did for the "Charlie Don't Surf!" build. Like I mentioned, the figure is a conversion of the standing Viet Cong figure from the DML/Dragon Viet Cong figure kit. I don't remember what arms I used, but I do remember that the head is from Hornet's East Asian head set. I used putty for the hair.
The groundwork is Miliput textured with an old toothbrush. The two palm leaves are from Fredericus Rex, the green plants are dried plant products from a craft store, and the stuff on the ground is a mixture of Hudson & Allen forrest litter, ivy leaves, and some other dried flower products.

dsc03170_1_20100927_1490465334.jpg

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Shading and highlighting black is pretty hard to make look right. I think I need to make some improvements in that area. Perhaps one of these days I'll find a SBS on painting black uniforms and clothing.

Why only one picture? When I took photos of this figure, that is all that came out clear enough to post. The others were too blurry. Perhaps when I have some more time for photography and have a good backdrop I might take some more.

The weapon the Viet Cong is carrying over his shoulder is the Chinese Type 56 version of the AK47.

Happy Modeling!
James

JamesOLeary wrote:
Shading and highlighting black is pretty hard to make look right. I think I need to make some improvements in that area. Perhaps one of these days I'll find a SBS on painting black uniforms and clothing.

that's the easiest thing to do:

start with a mix of 80% black and 20% flesh as base color ... a nice warm grey!

first shadows 90% black to 10% flesh
second shadows 100% black

first highlights 75% black to 25% flesh
second highlights 70% black to 30% flesh

of course you can add as many shade and highlight tones as you like and vary the mixing ratios but this is the basic path to follow!

Thanks for the tips on painting black clothing. I'll have to try it out on the next Vietnamese figure I work on.

It does seem pretty easy. I've just been paining OG 107 uniforms for so long that other colors seem to stump me.

I totally agree with what Laura says and would like to add don`t forget to add some red clay colouring to the bottom of the trouser legs, knees, and elbows, to give the subtle impression that the guys has been crawling through the undergrowth to avoid detection

Andy

JAMES,

Laura has a very good way & it sounds cool ! I use an alternate method. I'm not sayin' one is better than another , but here's what I do.

Flat black base coat.

Shade with varying degrees of a Black + Violet mix.

Using an almost Violet + Black mix for the Extreme Shadows.

Highlight with varying shades of a Black + Blue mix.

Using almost a Blue + Black mix for the extreme highlights
( Caution : you can get it too Blue , it needs to be very subtle )

* Also sometimes for the Extreme Highlights I'll use th Drybrush method & hit the Very high spots. Of course doing Leather it would get an Extreme Highlight of Buff & the Black base would be a Semi-Gloss. to show wear & tear in spots.

I don't really mix the colors to the percentages. I just do it by Eye.

Your figure looks Great! I too would go back around the Knees, Elbows ,& maybe the top of the Thigh region & Dry Brush some "Clay".

These are just My $.02 :D

ERIK

Back