• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Vacuform group build

How about something along the lines of "Scratchbuilding Required". This opens it up to limited run kits that are usually horrible and have little or no detail, resin kits (same thing in many ways) , vac kits which need huge amounts of scratchbuilding and mods.

Have any number of kits that would fit in that category, including a huge number of rare Vac kits.

Some samples:

Hansa Brandenburg W12 in 1/48 Vac (WW1 floatplane biplane)
X24A in1/72 Vac
X24B in 1/72 Vac
N9M flying wing in 1/72 Vac
Some oddball RarePlanes vacs all in 1/72
SilverWings 1/32 He 51B floatplane (love this particular plane)

So might could get drug into doing a hard build :D

Hey, I just suggested an idea so what ever the majority wants goes but opening up to injection molded kits, short run or otherwise sorta goes beyond the scope I had in mind. Are we going to open it up to say a Tamiya Corsair with a lot of extra scratch work ? If so, I'll go off to my corner and build my vacuform kit. :unsure:

Hey, I just suggested an idea so what ever the majority wants goes but opening up to injection molded kits, short run or otherwise sorta goes beyond the scope I had in mind. Are we going to open it up to say a Tamiya Corsair with a lot of extra scratch work ? If so, I'll go off to my corner and build my vacuform kit. :unsure:

Excellent suggestion, but as to something like the corsair kit, that would be a huge negatory! :idonno

At the very least, it would have to be an OLD limited run kit requiring major cutting, chopping and creating parts. The old Eduard Hannover I have on the shelf would be an example. Completely scratchbuilt top wing, heavy mods to the fuselage to lengthen it, and a scratchbuilt engine for starters. A good quality Vac kit would have probably been easier to work on. :bang head

Could set it up as a Challenge Build. Must be a Vac or very old mimimal detail limited run kit which will require heavy modification and/or a tremendous amount of scratchbuilt detailing. If it can be built out of the box and make a nice looking model, "Eetsa no Good!"

Another example could be that a Revell 1/48 B-17 F isn't applicable no matter how much scratch building you do to it, BUT using an old Koster conversion to a B-17 C withthe early tail, different engine cowlings and much butchery to convert could be acceptable. :good:

Yeah, what Eagle wrote.

I think the only way to do it is to have ONE person in charge of the campaign, (or a board of 3) and see if you can get moderator permission from the nice folks here. Then anyone can join - but their kit has to be approved.

I like where this is going, but I think we could open it up a bit to some limited run stuff, even if it is injection molded, but that's very subjective so it would need someone to yay or nay each entry somehow.

Bob, I posed the question to see if there was any interest in a vacuform group build and as I suspected there was not enough interest to support it unless we opened the flood gates to a whole host of things, at first I said why not but at this point I think the point is moot. If someone wants to take the ball and run with it that's fine with me. When I'm ready to do my build, assuming I do a build log, I'll post in Wesendorf Field.

Actually I was thinking timeline wise sometime after the first of the year. I still have two campaign entries to finish and I haven't done my CTA kits yet, would that be a better time ?

I'd be in, as long as it wasn't too soon....

I really liked the idea of Vacuform, and multi-media type kits, with a title of Off the Beaten Path, or something similar is a very good idea. Personally I think opening it up to extreme conversion of plastic kits takes the scope a bit too far.

I have a Nova Models by Archers Hobby World 1/72 Northrop XB-35, YB-35 & a YB-49 ..... The kit has been cut-out this is the way I received it ..... I was going to build one but when I opened the box there where three wings in there ..... at Scalefest 2014, Grapevine, Texas I bought a Italeri YB-49 kit to use as a guide for the pit in this kit ..... I would be interested in this I have never built a Vac kit before .... But think I could ..... :pilot

Back