• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USMC Marine Sherman plank armor question...

Jeeves

Hey all...

I was wondering as I am about to add my planks to the side of my Sherman...would the wood planks used on the hull sides have been painted OD like everything else...or left au natural??

What Sherman are you planking? M4A2 mid production hull? M4A2 late production hull? M4A3 late production hull?

If I remember right most are painted, but I think I've seen them not painted. The not painted was on an early M4A2 hull I believe. Can't find the photos right now maybe someone can put some up?

Hi Mike , for my money , even the b/w pics. have the wood on the hull sides looking like , well , wood .
The lighter shade on the wood is very different from the Marine green on the armor .
Could be the paint absorbing into the wood which might give it a different look than the paint on the armor ?
There are pics. here that show some dark paint on the wood representing camo .

Can't say for certain but my guess is natural wood color .
I have no proof eiter way , just my opinion .

Also note the concrete nose job in the one pic.
The , what appears to be LVT scrap on the sides of one tank and the tracks welded everywhere .

PICT4788.jpg

PICT4798.jpg

PICT4804.jpg

PICT4810.jpg

PICT5173.jpg

PICT4794.jpg

PICT4812.jpg

PICT4433.jpg

PICT5171.jpg

PICT5177.jpg

PICT5179.jpg

PICT4453.jpg

usmc1.jpg

USMC-C-Iwo-p21.jpg

USMC-C-Iwo-p37.jpg

Hmm...definitely puts a different spin on things, doesn't it?

I'm building up the Hobby Boss 1/48 M4A3...with the Black Dog Marine Sherman resin set...I'm not near the painting stage yet...so there's time to figure things out...could always do a little bit of both I suppose...

According to David Harper's color plates, he shows both.

Some are painted green, others painted camo, others with both bare wood and camo.

Thanks Ken...if anyone would know, it'd be Dave ;). Since I'm building this one specifically for him, I figured I'd try my best at being accurate...

That being said, I've got one more question for you all. I've noticed in my modest pics and in all of Glenn's great pics above, there does not seem to be any machine guns atop the turret on the mount. Were the Japanese snipers bad enough that they abandoned that position or was it just not well documented? The kit comes with a really nice .30 caliber and a so-so .50 caliber...

Back