• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

UM models

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has built any UM kits and what were they like in so far as detail and build- ability. I have only been able to find 3, 1/35 kits by them. They seem to mainly 1/72.:hmmm Thanks, W.

Hi woodcutter,

I built mainly 1/72.
Some UM model stay in my work bench.
UM are short-runs, so have mixture of details(good or horrible)
I think UM is better in 1/72 than 1/35.
I think perfect are their 38(t) chassis but T-28 or BA-20 e.g. are :sick:

1/72 Marder III
a-1.jpg

1/35 140/1
140.jpg

I hope, that is help for you.

Cheers.
Pavel

Don't know if I am right,but is UM models the same as VM models or Maquette models?
I had there 140/1[GERMAN RECCE TANK] in stash,but sold it after I read some bad reviews.

The DRAGONkit might be better ,but it is NOT what I hoped for.
It is a'smart'kit but sometimes I think it is a FAR..kit!:evil:

Greetings,Ron.

hi guys thanks for sharing. I think U M stands for Unimodel not for sure though. Can you tell me where any the stateside dealers are who carry their 1/35 kits? I'm not a rivet counter so a kit has to be the worst in the universe for me to give up on them and haven't found one yet that has beaten me. They just take much longer to tackle is all. But then again I can't honestly say I have built a lot since getting back into this but the weird kits do help with teaching me how to problem solve.
Pavel, I have been wanting to get a 38t variant ( after I get some other projects done)and I have been eyeballing those 140/1. So far I have found that Dragon, Maquette,and Italerie produce this. I am leaning towards Italerie only for the reason they do make a good kit and the instructions don't give me a headache like DML does. For the price of DML I would expect these to be much easier to build but that is just me:hmmm . I find it interesting that the same kit was mentioned by 2 guys in the same thread, Pavel built it and looks pretty good and recon passed on it. So what should I do? Did the UM 140/1 come with PE or is that some aftermarket detail parts? Thanks, R.

Yes, UM is Unimodel.
140/1 - my kit was UM(special edition) = but I dont saw any special parts. :idonno
All PE parts on my 140/1 are homemade.
1/35 from UM is one of horrible kits ever, I think.

1/72 how I wrote is better than 1/35.

question is : what do you want build.(UM makes types in 1/72 that are only from this manufakturer, in 1/35 have more choice : types=manufacturers)

Cheers.
Pavel

Hi,W

If I remember it correctly [and UM=VM] The kit has NO photo-etch parts in it.
Strange thing is, it has decals for 3 WaffenSS units [ a Dutch,Belgian and the 16th],
there is no proof that the SS had those vehicles....
But MAYBE the sovjets destroyed these vehicles on there very big soil...who knows?
I just want to say ,it is not complete out of the question.:hmmm

Don't know if this is usefull for you...[but I am always be willing to help someone].:lol:

Greetings,Ron.

Hi Pavel. well this thinking was in my efforts to find different kits that are less expensive than Tamiya, etc for the time being. I have nothing against those kits don't get me wrong but sometimes in order to keep going ( and still have resources for paints and other things we all need) it becomes necessary to use stuff on sale or do some of the Euro kits which may sometimes not be up to modern standards but are still ok if not for their unusual subjects they often produce. I have pretty much gotten used to them. If you can make something nice with those you can pretty much do anything well! It's been a while since I did a kit where the hull was molded in one piece ! I will do a 1/72 every now and then just to test myself, I find they are pretty hard for me so I mainly do 1/35.
Your 140/1 looks as though it had PE parts on it especially the mesh on the top of the turret there. That is pretty clever to make that yourself. I see UM has a 1/35 T-55. Do you have any opinions about this kit?

Hi woodcutter,

my false.Yes you have true, mesh on turret is from PE parts(maybe this piece was only in special edition :idonno )

T-55 from UM?(or SkiF, Eastern express, etc...)
If I would had choice between Tamiya or kits from Russia(First think is : russian tanks, etc... from russian manufacture will be better than some japanes kit = opposite is true) I choose from Tamiya.
Why?
Because, power exert on build these ingot from plastic is x time more than build Tamiya.
More time you can devote to painting and weathering.

This is my opinion. ;)

Cheers.
Pavel

I have built 1 1/72 scale Egyptian version of the T-34 w/122mm main gun, and it was a piece of dog-poo! Horrible shape, hull sunk in, little detail, and had a sprue of parts that had to be for a SU-152, but I was at the same time missing a sprue of parts!

Some of the others up there I have to say turned out very nice though

"Some of the others up there I have to say turned out very nice though"

that's exactly what i mean...about the Russian stuff not as nice as the Asian stuff but...it's ok, just like Oklahoma! I have seen gobs of these kits that are great when done it's just a matter of how much effort going into them. Sure, Tamaya's will almost fall together for a great outcome and that's what we have come to expect. Even with my abilities, I know I can do a bang up job with Tamiya. It's in the bag so to speak. When i see a Russian kit decked out it's hard to tell them apart. It's all good and from experience I will know the modeler who does a Zvezda, or EE and knocks it outa the park has done their homework. And i can appreciate that :)

Back