• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Trumpeter 1/44 scale Gato Class su : Presentation!

USS Cero SS-225 : Propulsion and decking

Bravo Zulu so far Bill, thats a ship shape boat. Are those bow planes molded in the bow or were they separate. Anyway, it is looking like a real fine rendition of a Gato class boat.
Thanks Paul. I had to look up BZ. I'm always learning something new here. The bow planes are separate and could have been installed down flat in the diving position. The kit didn't have any detail on the arm that extends the diving plane and the hole in the side of the hull where that arm wold extend through did not line up with the plane. So it got installed in the up position. :idonno

Thanks Bob. The rough and flat surface just makes it hard to do washes and weathering. I'll just have to give it a heavy gloss coat.

Thanks Dave. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for checking in.

Cheers,

Bill

USS Cero SS-225 : Washes and weathering

It got a black enamel pinwash on hull panel lines and an overall wash on the deck. Some rust enamel dots and stains, and a some tan drybrush on the hull sides at the waterline. The decals were from a 1/350 scale set from Aliance Model works c/o the nice folks at Sprubros.

Cheers,

Bill

Sub23.jpg

Sub_24.jpg

Sub_25.jpg

Sub_27.jpg

Sub_26.jpg

Thanks Chuck!
Thanks Bob!
Thanks Duke!

I should have this wrapped up in short order. It really just needs a few touch ups, flat coat to knock down the shine,
...oh, and a base (been working on that too ;) )

Appreciate the feed back.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Luiz! (y)
Thanks Paul! (y)

The base is just a piece of medium density fiberboard (MDF) that I had in the scrapbox finished with primer and Several coats of Krylon (Colonial Red) rattle can spray enamel (wet sanded between coats). I double sided the name plackard so the model can be displayed either side.The brass risers are shell casings polished up with semichrome polish and clear coated with lacquer. (The 9mm nests nicely inside a SW .40). I cut down the aluminum bushings that I used with the temp. stand and put them inside the two casings to act as a compression bushing (not shown).

That’s it. Thanks for looking and for all of the nice comments. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Sub_28.jpg

Sub_29.jpg

Sub_31.jpg

Sub_30.jpg

v238

USS Cero SS-225 : Complete!

Thanks Terry!
Thanks Bob!
Thanks Luiz!

You guys make it all worthwhile. Model on! :dude :Hiay :soldier

Cheers,

Bill

My Father turned 90 years young last week.
I had the opportunity to give him the model as a present, He seemed genuinely pleased. It’s hard to get something for “the man who has everything”. Sometimes you (I) get lucky. Happy birthday Dad!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Bill

WHS_1_cake.jpg

WHS_2_w__wds.jpg

WHS_2__52.jpg

v269

USS Cero SS-225 : Presentation!

Very very nice Bill. And what a great present too. Well done (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

My Father turned 90 years young last week.
I had the opportunity to give him the model as a present, He seemed genuinely pleased. It’s hard to get something for “the man who has everything”. Sometimes you (I) get lucky. Happy birthday Dad!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Bill

WHS_1_cake.jpg

WHS_2_w__wds.jpg

WHS_2__52.jpg

v269

What a great gift Bill, I'm sure he really enjoyed it and your hard work paid off.

Great build! :notworthy :notworthy

USS Cero SS-225 : Presentation!

Thanks James!
Thanks Luiz!
Thanks Bob!
Thanks Sherm!

It was a fun wrap up to the project. I think it's the first model to leave the house (other than in a garbage can). :laugh:
I know he enjoyed getting it.

Thanks to all of you who viewed and took time to comment. I appreciate the effort.

Cheers,

Bill

Back