• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Triumph 3HW 1:9 Italeri

paddy

Italeri 1/9 triumph 3HW ( a civilian Triumph tiger 80)

I am not one to build the same kit twice normally unless there has been a lot of water under the bridge. I think I built my first Airfix 1/24 Mk1 spit at about 14 years old and half a dozen more over the next 50 years. Likewise with the 1/12 Airfix Bentley until I finally cracked it a couple of years ago with one worth keeping . Sadly I never did crack the Spit Mk1

Anyway about 8 years ago I built this

DSC_5535_zpsncekn7hs.jpg

And thought at the time I must make a civilian version one day. And now, here it is

_DSC9858.JPG
_DSC9859.JPG
_DSC9860.JPG
_DSC9861.JPG
_DSC9863.JPG
_DSC9864.JPG
_DSC9862.JPG

Its basically OTB with exceptions of scale metal spokes replacing the plastic mouldings.

The original plastic spokes are 1.2mm which to scale makes them nearly 11m which is more like a cart wheel spoke. For the original army despatch version I used 0.5mm piano wire which equates to 4.5 mm to scale which is nearer. The piano wire is an easy way to wreck even the toughest of side cutter being very hard so this time I have used 0.42mm nickel silver rod which is rigid enough to do the job while being easy to cut with std wire cutters.

Anyway here is the result and I am very pleased , The kit despite being originally made by Protar in the early 1960’s is very well detailed for its age and the moulds still release the sprues with very little flash although some parts are a little out of register left/right

Thid is proof you can build the same kit twice and still get something original….to the extent that I have also now bought a third because I have another idea for another different result… I just need to work up the enthusiasm to do a couple more spoked wheels -)

Last edited:
Thanks guys
One thing that puzzles me a bit is the picture quality on the web site seems a bit dull or just not that sharp
If i view the same pictures on the PC direct from the PC so same pic, same resolution same format its pin sharp and brighter but if i view on the website its just...ok... ?
Does the website reduce resolution ?

Thanks Bob. Its a bit strange and beyond my scope of knowledge, its not a problem really but i have noticed it with other sites , not just this one.

If i split screen on my PC and have the same picture on each half. one viewed on live on line and the other from file on my PC the one from the PC is vibrant, sharp and has a much better contrast. The one on line is a bit blurred and what i would call muddy/low definition...

Definitely not your site Bob, i tried it on my opwn website and its the same . Anyway, doesnt matter just throwing it out there for anyone who thinks computers :)

Try dragging one of the photos off the site and opening it fresh on your computer. It might be some setting that you have on your browser Paddy.

Interesting Paul, i would say dragging of the browser and comparing it to the picture on the browser its sharper and colours are better having dragged it off. its not a lot but enough for me to notice it in the first place..
I will look into my browser settings. Thanks

What's the image viewer you using? Maybe it's enhancing some or using a cached version that is a higher resolution.

Now i am really confused, i opened the pic at full size (9 MB) and as down loaded (500kb) and they look the same ...

Now this is going to sound like i have gone senile or just slightly round the twist but if i take my glasses off the downloaded pic then looks poor....

I think all it is when i work on pics before up loading then i do it through a Nikon program because the camera takes pics in a RAW format where as when i upload them i dont usually use glasses to look at a monitor so i think the increase i resolution is my glasses :)
If i look at the pictures on this page that i uploaded with my glasses on they look a lot better.
In my defence i dont usually wear glasses except for model making, maybe i just need some more modern eyeballs ? HD or ultra HD ? I have had these since 1961 :)

The photos are always subject to how you actually "see" them. Thus it is always a subjective thing for the way they look and the way the look online. My Nikon camera never seems to be able to get the light just right and thus the color always seems off. I use a couple of programs to do my photo tweaks and 90% of them are 'brightness' and 'contrast'. There are more things, but that is the basic that I do the most. I never worry about how they look online that much as long as they get the point across.
Your builds look great and the photos are just as good, so don't sweat it.

Back