• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Totally unrelated to modeling... Anybody got a camper?

Barney

SWMBO has this idea that we could go see the USA in a camper. We have been discussing the upside and downside of it, but don't know anyone we can talk to (other than a dealer) who could talk intelligently on the topic.

The idea is to take a 2 week trip out to the Grand Canyon.

So: Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?

I have experience with trailers. MY parents pulled one for 21 years all over the US and Canada. We don't have the towing capacity with our Dodge mini-van so that is out.

Not campers but my wife and I LOVED Williams AZ when we visited the South Rim. Would love to go back and check it out closer.

Funny story, we were in Vega$ actually and we never got off east coast time so we were waking up like 4am ready to go. We drove over the Grand Canyon and decided to have breakfast in Williams. Found a nice little joint in town and sat at the window. looked up and this guy pulls up in a early 70s chevy pickup that had been road hard over it's years. Guy gets out. 10 Gal hat, boots the works. Even had a gun belt on with a peacemaker on his side.
"Oh look honey, they must have a wild west show here."
Few minutes later the cowboy comes out of the hardware store with a box of nails, puts them in the bed of the truck and drove off.
"I don't think he's an actor..."
:rimshot

When my parents were in their late 50's my dad bought a used RV and redid all the woodwork in it. Then for the next 20 years they travelled all over the US. Visited every Civil War battlefield my dad could find, spent many weeks during the summer at the lake. (during the week while it was quiet not the weekends) They had a grand time in that old RV. The last trip they made in it was to Memphis to visit me sometime about 2008 or so. They really got their money's worth of use out of it.

We had one, some years back and may be will get one again in some years. With our Africa holidays we always rented an off road i.e. Hilux with a case for sleeping and such and for US holidays a camper would be my first if not only joice.

In Europe it is a bit different, because of a lot of very tiny streets in small villages a camper can be an obstacle, then you would need to have bicycles with you.

I came home from Spring Break, my junior year, to discover that the 'rents had sold both cars and most of the furniture, bought an Airstream and were headed out as soon as they packed me off to OU for the next term. They did not stop RV'ing for 21 years. No home address. No phone number. It took me 2 days to locate them and leave a message that they had a grandson!

I went "camping" several times while in the military... none of those trip was pleasant.

That I would even consider this is a miracle.

They did not stop RV'ing for 21 years. No home address. No phone number. It took me 2 days to locate them and leave a message that they had a grandson!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good for them. I knew a retired marine col and his wife who did that. They just drove around to different bases and hooked up there. South for the winter and north in summer.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good for them. I knew a retired marine col and his wife who did that. They just drove around to different bases and hooked up there. South for the winter and north in summer

That was their plan...

I got hurt fairly seriously while "out in he field" and was reprimanded because the USAF couldn't get in touch with my parents. Hell, I wasn't certain where they were!!!!! They also appeared in a USA Today story where they admitted that they were like gypsies who never could be reached.

I really have mixed feelings about the whole thing... Happy Wife, Happy Life.

hmm I thought, Barney, you were talking about hollidays in a camper not selling your house and living in a camper - thats a little difference, not?

I can only say, doing some weeks holliday in a camper is very different to do camping. Sleeping in a mobile home is much more comfortable than sleeping in a tent. Depending on the size of that thing you have a shower, a toilet and a small kitchen.

A good friend who I served with when he and his wife retired sold everything and bought a camper. They have been traveling non stop for years. You can check their site and maybe get some hints of life on the road. http://www.michele-denis.com/indexenglo.html
I cant find his addy to ask if he has advice for you. I know from periodically checking in he list the good and the bad.
James

Back