• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Out Of the Box Campaign Launch

Duke Maddog

Here is where my Out of the Box campaign efforts will be posted. Official start pics will be posted here on or after January 31st.

Okay, I've decided on an Out of Box model to do for this Campaign. This will be the Hasegawa 1/72 scale F-4 Phantom II in Iranian markings:

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_I.jpg

I hope to get this started pretty soon. Stay tuned for more.

Thanks Luiz. I have done a number of Hasegawa 1/72 scale F4 Phantoms. The last one was a white 50th anniversary of the Bundesluft or something like that. It was a horrible fight and I think the model won. I'm hoping to do much better on this one.

Yeah, there's something about that brutally ugly aircraft that is so ugly it's beautiful. I'm looking forward to getting started on it soon.

Thanks Sherm, I'm looking forward to getting this one done. I just hope I don't have the usual issues that I've had with Hasegawa Phantoms before.

This week I started on my 1/72 scale Hasegawa F-4 Phantom II in Iranian markings.

Naturally, I started with the cockpit, and also glued the four pieces together for the nose cone:

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_II.jpg

I then painted and decaled the cockpit of this model:

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_III.jpg

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_IV.jpg

Next I assembled the rear fuselage of this plane:

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_V.jpg

Later on I'll get the cockpit closed up in the forward fuselage and put the forward and rear fuselage assemblies together.

I think I'm off to a good start. Stay tuned for more.

Okay, here it is a few months down the line and I finally have some progress done and a camera to document it! Not that there is much to show, this is moving pretty slow.

I had shot another coat of grey primer on the underside of my F-4 Phantom. Afterwards, when it was dry; I masked off the bottom to prepare this for the top coat:

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_VII.jpg

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_VIII.jpg

Once I get the top coat on, I'll mask this with some more Silly Putty and add the camouflage pattern to it. Maybe then this will turn out better than my usual screwed up planes.

Anyway, that's all I have to show for now. Like I said, not much to show. but it sure felt good to get back to the workbench again. Hopefully I'll be able to make more progress tomorrow. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are always welcome.

Mine too Dave!

I got some more progress on this Butcher Bird; I masked off the Phantom with the Silly Putty to shoot the second of three colors of paint:

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_IX.jpg

Here it is after shooting the medium green:

WIP_OOB_GB_Phantom_X.jpg

Now all I have to do is mask it again and shoot the final color on it. After that, this will be ready for clearcoat and decals.

Thanks for looking in. Stay tuned, more to come...

Nicely done ! great painting on the pit panels, I struggle to see those in 48th let alone 72nd scale!!

Thanks Pup, but this is gonna be a tan-green-dark brown camo pattern since this is the Iranian bird from Hasegawa. My Australian F-111 is gonna have a SEA camo pattern over a black underside though.

Thanks Phil! A lot of times, the 'pit can simply be dry-brushed if the detail is there to catch the paint. I do try to add a little extra though.

Back