• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Modern Armor Campaign Launch

Duke Maddog

Here is where my Modern Armor campaign efforts will be posted. Official start pics will be posted here on or after January 31st.

Okay people, here are the two models I plan on doing for this Campaign.

First up is the Japanese Type 10 tank by Fujimi in 1/72 scale:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_I.jpg

I got this tank started already; building the suspension, roadwheels and track. Then I added the upper hull in a dry fit, after assembling the basic turret to see how this bad boy will look.

The plastic is so brittle and hard that I feel like I'm working on a toy. Still, it is looking pretty good so far:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_II.jpg

The second tank I plan to do alongside the Japanese Type 10 is this one; the Swedish Leopard 2A6, or Strv 122 A/B:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Leopard_I.jpg

Okay, that's what I got going so far. Stay tuned for more.

I'm not seeing any images. :idonno

You wanna see images? :blink

You wanna see IMAGES?!! :angry:

Uh, I got nuthin........ :facepalm :blush:

Been busy finishing up a couple other things. Feel free to check them out in Wesendorf Field and the Armored Fury. :good: :D

Okay, it's been a good week so far. I managed to get some good work done on quite a few models. Two of them were here.

Here's the first of the Modern Armor Group Build entries, the Japanese Type 10 tank. In this pic you can see that it is ready for the spray booth:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_III.jpg

Since I was also doing the Swedish Leopard for this Modern Armor Group Build, I figured it was high time I got it going too. I started by cementing the hull together:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Leopard_II.jpg

I added the roadwheels next to the lower hull and detailed it out a bit more:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Leopard_III.jpg

This is the main gun after I got it built:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Leopard_IV.jpg

Next I went though one of the most convoluted systems for gluing a turret together; but I succeeded and the gun still elevates. This is a shot of the tank all together so far. I still have to add the sides of the turret to this model:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Leopard_V.jpg

Okay, you wanted pics, here they are. Comments are always welcome.

Stay tuned for more....

Gee, you wanted pics and I got no comments! I guess my pics didn't measure up somehow. :blink :silly:

So, here I am starting again! This is my latest on the two models I've submitted here.

I got some more progress done on one of my two Modern Armor Group Build subjects: the Swedish Leopard II. Here it is all assembled and ready for its basecoat:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Leopard_VI.jpg

Of the two models I started for this Group Build, I expected this one to give me the most trouble due to it being an over-engineered Revell of Germany kit. It has been a breeze to build compared to this other model: Fujimi's Japanese Type 10 model. Here you can see it after I primed it:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_IV.jpg

If you look closely at the above pic, you'll see two major issues that I hadn't noticed before this until I tried to add the side skirts to this. One: the tracks and wheels stick out too far for the side skirts to go on this. Two: I had put the drive sprocket on the front instead of the back where it is supposed to go! :facepalm :bang head

Okay, out comes the nippers.....

I removed all the wheels and tracks, drive sprocket and idler and switched the idler and drive sprocket to their proper places:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_V.jpg

Next I re-attached all the wheels, making sure that this time they were far enough in to allow the side skirts to go on:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_VI.jpg

Here is the final shot of this tank ready for touch up and the rest of the camo pattern:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_VII.jpg

Maybe now I can start getting somewhere with this little tank without having to take two steps back for every one I take forward!

That's all I got for now. I don't think I'll have any progress to show for awhile, so I appreciate any comments. I'll reply to as many as I can before Monday.

Thanks for looking in.

After dealing with all the latest health issues; catching up on some work, and finally getting my life on a slightly more even keel, I managed to get quite a bit of time and productivity on the workbench.

Well, that silly putty technique that I used on my aircraft was so fun and effective, I decided to try it out on a couple of my tanks. (See my Maddog Manufacturing Aircraft Thread in Wesendorf Field if you want to see it there too.)

I had already basecoated my Japanese Type 10 MBT with a dark green. Now all I needed was a dark brown.

So, I added the silly putty to the tank and shot the brown:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_VIII.jpg

This time, I remembered to pull the silly putty off and shoot the resulting pics:

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_IX.jpg

WIP_Modern_Armor_GB_Type_10_X.jpg

Nice!! I was surprised that something went so well for me! I have since decaled and weathered this tank, completing it along with the Mack truck. Once I get my camera back, I'll shoot this one too.

You'll notice that the dozer blade is gone. I have no idea where it went. It might have broken off and disappeared during the earthquake. All that was left was one mounting bracket for it so I broke it off, filled in the holes and finished this as just a straight tank. Screw it! I'm tired of chasing things I shouldn't be chasing!

I had also shot the dark green basecoat on the Leopard, but I didn't take pics. Green paint on a green-plastic-colored tank......

Okay, that's the latest I have for this Campaign, thanks for looking in. Stay tuned, more to come....

Okay, I think I can claim my ribbon now, this tank is done:

Japanese Army Type 10 MBT:

Japanese_Type_10_MBT__I.jpg

Japanese_Type_10_MBT__II.jpg

This is one of my latest from numbers 649, 650, and 651 in completed armor models.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks guys! I am so happy tom see this done; especially since it gave me such a fight. Now to complete the other one.

Back