• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke's Condor

Duke Maddog

It took me awhile, but I finally got some finished pics of my 1/72 scale Modelsvit An-124 "Ruslan" aka NATO code name: Condor.

I took these on the concrete sidewalk beneath my balcony stairs. I also placed a model of a 1/72 scale Russian T-80 tank next to it for size reference. It was the easiest thing I could pull from my storage tub holding my Russian vehicles.

For your perusal gentlemen....

full

full

full

It isn't the best shape it could be in, but it is done. I will possibly work on improving things a bit more later on and might shoot some updated pics then. For now, this bird is done and will be finding a spot on my ceiling soon.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Nice plane (must be big):vgood:........shouldn't it be full of sports car models though that nobody will think to push out the back until they run out of fuel over the Himalayas? :bigrin:

That's huge Mark!:notworthy

What's the wing span on that beast of a model?
Thank you Dave! The wingspan of this beast is 40 inches. Fuselage length: 37 inches.

Thanks Paul! Wow, she's a cutie! :love:

Nice plane (must be big):vgood:........shouldn't it be full of sports car models though that nobody will think to push out the back until they run out of fuel over the Himalayas? :bigrin:

Thanks Ian! Yes, she's big, see the measurements above. As for the sports cars; I don't think I ever saw that movie. This could certainly carry a boatload of sports cars though!

Nice job Mark! Finishing something that big is an accomplishment in itself. :vgood:

Thank you Bob! It sure felt like one too! Now for the next accomplishment: finding a place to keep it! :bm::silly:

Nice job. Looks huge!:Drinks:

Thank you very much! Yeah she's a big'un. See the measurements above.

That movie was "2012" and it was a full on disaster film. (like the world got broken) The plane was the An-25 not the An-24. The An-25 is bigger has 6 engines and a twin rudder tail.

First off......that build looks really good Mark!!

Secondly....40" ????!!!!! Where in the world would you display something like that???

Thank you guys for the awesome comments!

Sharkman, I appreciate that.

Thanks Paul, I did see that movie but don't remember that scene. And you described the An-225 perfectly. That one was originally built to carry the Buran space shuttle.

Ian, yeah, the An-225 does have a couple more engines... and four additional main landing gear struts if I recall. I do plan on getting one of those to build too.

Thanks Mike! That is a great idea. I'll definitely look for some of that.

Thank you Mustang Joe! The only place to display it: on the ceiling! Unless I hang it nose down on the wall like I've seen others do... but then I don't have the wall space to do that either!

Thank you Skinny Mike! Most appreciated.

Very cool looking bird. Man its huge. Do you have a big enough ceiling to hang it from?? Might need to add another joist lol. Looking forward to more.
James

Wow Mark as others have said, great job! When BMW manufacturing was being located in upstate SC, the runway at GSP airport was extended by several thousand feet, and part of that was to accept aircraft like this. the delivered in ONE PIECE an injection machine that went into the factory where i then worked. I can make the entire dashboard substructure in one pass. Total length of this beast of a machine was about 110 yards/100.6 meters. IIRC they actually shut the northbound lanes of I-85 (one of the busiest highways in our state) and altered an off ramp to move it to the manufacturing plant.

Seeing that plane fly over is just jaw dropping. It is NOTICEABLY larger than the C-5A, with which I am also familiar

If I remember correctly they used one of these to ship a locomotive from London Ont to Ireland. 146 Tons.
June-1994-London-Ontario-to-Dublin-complete-new-GM-Diesel-locomotive-for-Irish-Rail.-146-tonne...jpg

James

The Lockheed misses out on farming the C5 out for commercial use. I guess it's not cost efficient but still, wouldn't a C5 in Evergreen livery be cool?

Back