• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke Finishes Two Navy Aircraft

Duke Maddog

After a couple days of bench time I managed to get these two aircraft finished up.

This first one is the ancient ESCI 1/72 scale F-8H Crusader. This took me some time with all the fit issues it has. The canopy in particular is tough to get right:

US_Navy_F-8H_Crusader_I.jpg

US_Navy_F-8H_Crusader_II.jpg

Next is my effort in honoring Hippy Ed's memory with this Hippy Ed Tribute Build of the 1/72 scale Trumpeter RA-5C Vigilante done up in Hoot Owl's squadron markings. This was a good model, yet it still had a few fit issues as well. I am thrilled to have this in my Naval Air Force collection now:

US_Navy_RA-5C_Vigilante_I.jpg

US_Navy_RA-5C_Vigilante_II.jpg

That's all I have for now. With these done, I've managed to finish seven models before February. Cool! I do enjoy getting boxes cleared away by getting the models inside of them built.

Okay, thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Real nice builds, Mark. By the way... :eek:ldguy Don't ever say Naval and Air Force as one vernacular. It's Naval Air Power.... :captain :D

Ed would be proud! (y) (y)

Thanks! That is very comforting and reassuring. I had hoped to do his memory justice.

Thanks Bob! Your compliments are most appreciated.

I thought you were just an on the ground type person. :idonno

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

While I do work on quite a bit of armor, I do also work on other types to keep things fresh. I have another 700+ completed models almost evenly split between ships and aircraft; with a dusting of space/Sci-Fi; a couple cars, and some diorama buildings thrown in for good measure. I even did a figure once: the Headless Horseman.

Real nice builds, Mark. By the way... :eek:ldguy Don't ever say Naval and Air Force as one vernacular. It's Naval Air Power.... :captain :D

Thanks for the compliment and also thanks for the correction there too. That is very good to know. I'll edit accordingly.

Thanks again guys! I appreciate all the awesome comments and compliments.

Hey I REALLY Like the Crusader, the last of the gunfighters! I worked for, and now go to church with, a gentleman who had more than 1000 catapult shots i the Crusader, Col. Charles Murhy. he later went on to be a test pilot, as developers used the Crusader to develop swing wing technolory for what would become the F-14 (Due to it's unique pop-up wing).

Interestingly, the same airframe was used for deveoplemtn of the Phoenix missle too

Thanks iambrb! That is so cool to hear stories like that! I did know about the use in development of the swing wings but not the Phoenix. Maybe someday I'll make one with a Phoenix or two slung under the wings!

Thanks Eagle! I'm glad to have them done!

Thanks Mike! I did go crazy on trying to super detail these; I just wanted them done. In particular, I certainly wanted the Vigilante to look good enough for Ed's approval. I think I succeeded.

Thanks again Mike!

Thanks for the excellent comments guys! I am very happy with these two aircraft. Helios, I sure do hope so.

Back