• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Thinners

jknaus

Administrator
OkayI use Tamiya paints a lot as they are acrylic and dont have a reaction with me. I use Tamiya paint thinner X-20A. Last time James was in town I asked him if he could get me Tamiya Laquer Thinner. I thought I had read it was a better thinner than X-20A, but I cant find the article now. So my question is, what can I use it for? Thanks in advance.
James

Found this disscussion on another forum, hope it helps :)

http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=76076

//Mats

I found that the Lacquer thinner works very well with the Tamiya primers. Haven't played with it much but it does work better than the off shelf stuff.

If you feel your inner mixologist stirring, I found this mix over at Cybermodeler:

For 500ml,
33% isopropyl alcohol
67% distilled water
10ml artist acrylic retarder
10ml artist acyrlic flow improver
Mix can be tweaked to meet your preferences.

The result is supposed to smell like Tamiya X-20A thinner. The authors' cost was under $3.00 per 500ml. The retarder and flow improver should be availble at an artist supply stores, but can also be ordered on-line.

Cheers,
Rich

I use Lacquer thinner every time when using Tamiya Acrylics.Well,Tamiya Acrylics aren't really genuine acrylics and that's why Lacquer Thinners work like a charm on them.
I would NOT use lacquer thinners on other acrylics.

Now then here is a recipe on paint to lacquer thinners ratio:-Use 1 part Tam Acrylic paint to 4 parts Lacquer thinners.
For fine camouflage lines:-1part Tam acrylic paint to 6 parts lacquer thinners.

This might seem a to be an absurdly THIN mixture,I know.But with multiple paint layers it works VERY well and the drying time is just fast!

The down side of using Lacquer Thinners is their nasty fumes,what might be a bit of a health risk,so PLEASE ventilate the room very well.

Greetings,Ron.

No doubt the Tamiya lacquer thinner is stinkier, but it lays down fine lines as well as, ultra smooth base coats. I use X20 for thinning Future or for solid colors like interiors. Since I switched to Tamiya lacquer thinner, I don't get as many spits and sputters on camo lines. Hope this helped. :good:

Back