• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya M10 Achilles FINISHED

paddy

This is my Tamiya M10. It was called the Achilles over here but not till after the war so this is still an M10 but converted to carry the British high velocity 76mm, 17 pounder gun which was considerably more powerful than the original US supplied 3” gun. These were assigned to artillery regiments in The UK, not tank so the guys have artillery black berets.

This is another of those kits I bought the PE for but didn’t use, it really didn’t add anything to the model IMHO. I added some racks with jerry cans on to make it look a bit more “used” but really this was an experiment in finishing with mud.

I cant do people yet, I read loads on it but cant replicate the technique with the limited paints I have. My Taniya colours just dried on the brush between the bottle and the model when using a very very fine brush in fact I thinned the paint to try and get it to flow better and the thinners just evaporated off within 20 seconds..

Anyway I have ordered some MIG water based acrylics, they do a face paint set so I will try them, if not its going to be oils.

I still don’t feel confident enough to tackle my Grant with interior so I will carry on practising on the basics for the time being. That said I am quite pleased with this apart from the men, thanks for looking 😊 Criticism very welcome.

DSC_1948.JPG

DSC_1949.JPG

DSC_1950.JPG

DSC_1951.JPG

DSC_1952.JPG

DSC_1953.JPG

DSC_1954.JPG

DSC_1955.JPG

DSC_1959.JPG

DSC_1960.JPG

DSC_1961.JPG

DSC_1964.JPG

DSC_1945.JPG

Ha ha yes but you cant see their faces, the Zombie tank crew from hell :) I will have another go when i get some paint with some flesh tones .

I'm not very with figures either Paddy. After searching around on the interwebs I came across these guy... Army Painter. While they are for gaming miniatures they have an easy system for painting the figures. The key product that I use from them are the Washes Warpaints Set.
1612791726926.png

Army Painter also has a ton of videos that are alos helpful as well ... Army Painter YouTube.

Here is one on the above washes.

Give these guys a look and I think you'll find the easy to use answer to figures.
Good Luck!
:victory:

Looks good. If you want to paint Tamiya paints by brush get Tamiya Retarder. It will slow down the drying time. My fav though is Vallejo paints and Ammo of Mig isnt too bad. Never had any luck with AK paints. Hope that helps.
James

That's great James, i haven't seen that before but it shows its a recognised problem. I have ordered some MIG paints as i hope water based might dry a little slower but i will get a bottle of this next time i am in the model shop as well.

One thing i forgot to mention
this is the washing label from a pair of Levis 501's Its a good fine weave that scales down well

DSC_1934.JPG

its rolled up and stuck with super glue.

DSC_1935.JPG

Painted Khaki with Tamiya

DSC_1961.JPG

And is easier than trying to make the plastic parts in the kit look real :)

And is easier than trying to make the plastic parts in the kit look real
Ain't it though!
wonder if a clear coat would get all those micro hairs to stand down. Probably can't see them in person but they pop out in the photos.

Hair spray might do it but dont forget in those days most of this stuff was hessian sacking sacking and thats just how it looked

s-l640.jpg

Back