• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya 1/32 P-51D

Since I can't justify having this gorgeous kit sit in the stash until God only knows when, I decided to go ahead and do it now.

Various001_zps3acdb707.jpg

It will be OOB with the exception of the decals. I want to do "Big Beautiful Doll" so I need to go aftermarket.

This will either help with your build....

....or scare the cr*p out of you !! :pilot

From my days as a volunteer at IWM Duxford.

Ian

BBD, the iconic scheme of the P51d, :pilot

You know Col Landers was in the PTO and flew P40s, that bird was BBD also but I have yet to see a picture of it. hint hint... :pilot

Finally gonna start this. I was actually going to start it at work but then realized that the only pic I had on here was of the box. So, here we go:

Mustang001_zps2c105205.jpg

Quick question for anyone who has built this before I go look it up; If I have no intention of making the engine cowling removable, I can just glue them in place, right?

You gonna have to build something of the engine cause that's what the prop mounts to. I didn't notice any parts that allowed just mounting prop. Don't think you need much other than the engine block and the gear box stuff. That would be a major time saver also. I remember there was a screw attachment to the firewall but I don't think it would be requred cause you still have the motor mounts attaching on the block.

I guess you could get creative and build up the gear box and strap it in the frame work some how, but would probably be quicker to build the block.

D'uh...you asking about the cowls..Yes. Mine are glued :facepalm

Took awhile to get the pit where I wanted it. Its like a mini-model all by itself:

MustangPit001_zps441dade3.jpg

MustangPit002_zps620cc9e7.jpg

MustangPit003_zpsac9f17cc.jpg

MustangPit004_zpsdee832e0.jpg

MustangPit005_zps6536c268.jpg

There are a few little boo-boos here and there that I can't see even with my reading glasses but the camera is picking them right up.

I don't care, we're going with what we have.

Thanks for looking. As always, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Took awhile to get the pit where I wanted it. Its like a mini-model all by itself:

MustangPit001_zps441dade3.jpg

MustangPit002_zps620cc9e7.jpg

MustangPit003_zpsac9f17cc.jpg

MustangPit004_zpsdee832e0.jpg

MustangPit005_zps6536c268.jpg

There are a few little boo-boos here and there that I can't see even with my reading glasses but the camera is picking them right up.

I don't care, we're going with what we have.

Thanks for looking. As always, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Lookin' fine Jeff, good catch on the lock lever on the control column. Don't forget the decals for the fuel gauges in the floor. :good: :pilot

Back