• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Special Hobby 1/48 Seafire L.III

RichB

Start~0.jpg

No 885 NAS, 3 Naval Fighter Wing was attached to the Air Spotting Pool, 34 Recce Wing, 2 TAF between May and Aug 1944. The pilots flew bombardment spotting missions, fighter sweeps and anti-submarine patrols. On 8 Jun, Sub Lt R.C. Chamen (SANF) shot down a Bf109 over Caen and on 16 Jun, Sub Lt R. Hales damaged 2 Bf109's, both while flying NF547.

Great, hardly ever see a Seafire project unless it's the Airfix Mk.47. Looking forward to this.

Ian

Digging into the box, we find 6 sprues of grey plastic with nicely engraved details, one sheet of photo etch for cockpit and exterior details, acetate film for the instrument panel and one sheet of adhesive vinyl for the fuselage doublers.

Seat, Control Column and Instrument Panel
Furnish.jpg

LH Fuselage
LHFuslgi.jpg

LHFuslgo.jpg

RH Fuselage
RHFuslgi.jpg

RHFuslgo.jpg

Wing
Wingl.jpg

Wingu.jpg

Pretty straight forward build so far. Some flash on the wings to clean-up.

Time get some kip before the big game, Canada vs Sweden, and let these bits set up before painting the cockpit.

Cheers,
Rich

That looks cool. Not understanding the need for the add on plating though.
James

During Seafire I ops and the rigors of carrier life, they found fuselage weaknesses around the cockpit and radio hatch leading to the strengthening strips and plates being added to production Seafire II's and III's. A few Seafire I's received the mod too.

Cheers,
Rich

With my ever present assistants, "Just Build It" and "Research", and every intention to listen to "Just Build It", "Research" has won out yet again.

It turns out that NF547 is a hotly debated airframe in FAA modelling circles for:
1. Wing configuration
2. Colour scheme
3. Invasion stripes
4. Tail colour

Many a FAA boffin has insisted that only Seafire L.II's had clipped wings and all L.III's had full span. There are now photos surfacing of NF547 and her stable mates with clipped wings as well as pilot accounts describing 885 NAS Seafires with clipped wings.

Some of these same boffin's also insist that all FAA aircraft were finished in TSS (Temperate Sea Scheme). From the photos, the scheme appears to be of a much higher contrast, like DFS (Day Fighter Scheme) on RAF Spitfires. Information from Westland, the factory that built NF547, indicates that all Seafires produce by them were finished in DFS. Photos also show NF547 with either a Sky or Black spinner. The photo showing the Black spinner is generally accepted to be of a post D-Day date, long after 885 NAS had completed their duties with TAF and was converting to Hellcats to deploy to the Pacific.

NF547 with clipped wings, DFS & Sky spinner
NF547.jpg

There are no known photos of NF547 wearing invasion stripes. But knowing that orders for aircraft operating over the beaches were to have the stripes applied and photos of other aircraft from the Recce Group (5 RAF, 1 USN and 4 FAA squadrons) have the stripes, it is very unlikely the FAA would have left their aircraft unmarked.

Possibly the most contententious issue is the tail colour. Several profiles and decal sheets show the tail painted in a green-grey primer. Some consider this correct, others believe that the primer should be a blue-grey colour. It has also been suggested that the tail could have been taken from an airframe finished with a mirrored scheme. The fabric covered rudder and elevators should be finished in red dope when primed but were usually supplied pre-painted with the appropriate camouflage so they could be properly balanced before leaving the factory. From FAA records, the only major damage to NF547 occurred in Oct 1944 when the tail wheel collapsed on a hard landing and could have resulted in the repair or replacement of the tail assembly. There is a photo of NF547 from the port rear quarter that shows this unusually coloured tail and also hints at the Black spinner.

So for the puposes of this build, to show the aircraft as it would appear from D-Day until D+26, it will have:
1. Clipped wings
2. DFS with Sky spinner
3. Full invasion stripes
4. DFS tail assembly as damage occured in Oct

So, with "Research" satisfied (for the moment), time to "Just Build It". Hopefully a productive evening and some new pics by the end of it.

Cheers,
Rich

That's some great research, Rich. Have to admit I was hoping to see this in the TSS with invasion stripes as it would be a very interesting contrast (pun intended) to the other British builds happening here. It is notoriously difficult to interperate B/W pics and the arguments will rage on-and-on on many websites....

....I (reluctantly) agree with your interpretation of the photo, but if it were me building this, I'd still go with EDSG/DSG & Sky for the reason I outlined above.

Ian

Like they say, build what you like and like what you build. Only aircraft not to get invasion stripes were strategic aircraft, bombers and such. Just because there's no picture don't mean it didn't happen.

:popcorn

Added a few extra bits of wiring to the cockpit sidewalls and the O2 bottle. Painted things up and now waiting for the oil wash to dry.

Ckpt.jpg

LHCkpt.jpg

RHCkpt.jpg

Wing.jpg

Carved a groove in the side wall inserts were the aft bulkhead sits to get a better upper fuselage joint.

Cheers,
Rich

Got the cockpit in and fuselage halves joined. Some minor seam work to tidy up. Fuselage press fit to wings for the photo.

Overall.jpg

Ckpt2.jpg

Ckpt1.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

What's up with the added styrene?

During Seafire I carrier ops they found fuselage weaknesses along the main longerons and radio hatch. Those are pre-cut peel and stick vinyl that came with the kit to represent the reinforcing plates added during production on Seafire III's and a few late Seafire I's.

Cheers,
Rich

Back