• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SLA M50 APC

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
I sat at my bench a couple weeks ago with the intent to work some of the stuff I started for group builds but was not feeling it. So I then was going to start cleaning up the hobby and while moving items around and putting things away I got the bright idea to dig this out :idonno

One of my long running projects an AEF Designs conversion for Academy M51 to a SLA M50 APC. :bang head I thought i had posted it at one time here but on a search just could not find it so I'm going to start this over. If I have an open thread :blush: oops The album has been on here for ever that I do know.

Started this many years ago and as I remember it was to be a "quick fun" weekend type build :laugh: but since I just can't leave stuff alone the project grew.

this is place where the project was boxed from the move from Denver to Northwest Kansas basic conversion of an upper hull and some basic interior parts
057S.jpg

058S.jpg

059S.jpg

060S.jpg

from that point I decided to try scratch building some new engine exhaust and intake covers. I also tried some PE welds from On The Mark Models for the armor structure build up along with a scratch build machine gun mount.
036~3.jpg

035~2.jpg

037~2.jpg

039~2.jpg

040~2.jpg

apc1001.jpg

apc1007.jpg

apc1008.jpg

apc1009.jpg

005-1~1.jpg

from there I thought I would try scratching better engine air filters
SAPC00168.jpg

004~0.jpg

SAPC00167.jpg

at this time I added bolts to the fighting compartment from the suspension mounts and cover over the radio
SAPC00166.jpg

that is where I started having problems with the PE wlds coming back off and some A+B putty welds coming off. I rewashed the hull in 409 and thinner. Still having problems in the same spots. I put the project up before I took a hammer to it :D

A couple weeks ago I made the decision to replace the upper hull and scratch what I needed instead of fighting the kit. The upper hull is from Tamiya M4 kit.

I first added some casting texture where needed
001_zpse93e9043.jpg

002_zps2908d83e.jpg

003_zps945a63ec.jpg

004_zpscf4c9941.jpg

006_zps910017ae.jpg

then plugged the tool mount locations with stretched sprue after drilling them out
008_zps62807fac.jpg

009_zps8ef999d0.jpg

I then added welds to the upper hull with first .30 half round and ended up finishing with .20 round rod as I ran out of the half round. I'm not happy with some of it so I may order some more half round and try to dig out the rod.
024_zpsd7ac923b.jpg

025_zps8d6c8c7a.jpg

023_zps5ac975f2.jpg

I tore out the drivers and co-drivers seats to try and improve the drivers area with parts from an Academy M10. While I was at it tore out the ammo rack and radio.
011_zpse8b99884.jpg

014_zps1c2e31f2.jpg

I added the escape hatch with some extra detailing after removing some of the molded on parts. I ended up scratching some floor pieces for the co-drivers area
015_zpsaa0ed3ad.jpg

Scratched a new radio box and it should look better than I had before
018_zpsa2ae16ff.jpg

019_zps09d1d127.jpg

Then I started to detail some of the other interior parts taken from the M10 kit
020_zpsfb248ecb.jpg

the seat on the left I took a file to it compared to the stock seat on the right
016_zpsd08d1b62.jpg

A numbers things I forgot to add from the above post is I scratched a passenger seat from parts of a M113 seats Israeli style
010_zpsd5c2a7c7.jpg

added Verlinden PE fenders
SAPC4502.jpg

SAPC6m003.jpg

added some detail to the suspension
SLAAPC8002.jpg

SLAAPC8003.jpg

I think I'm back on track with this :drinks

Cool, seems to me I remember seeing this, maybe while cruising over the gallery. :popcorn

One thing to remember about the Forum Search, it defaults to searching just the last year. You have to change it to search all dates to see everything. And don't confuse the forum search with the Website search.

Wow, that's not something I've ever seen before. Thinking outside the box on a number of levels, Jeff.

Ian.

Fiddled more with this project. I ditched the Academy M10 seats and scratched some seats that look more like the ones in a M50 Sherman. Not perfect by any means but should look alright once in place and you guys will be looking at the third go around :eek:hyeah

not sure what these are really called but I called them mounts two for each seat. One to the floor and the other to the seat bottom. C channel, .10 sheet and some rectangle styrene
001_zpsydupf0ii.jpg

002_zpsw93f0v0y.jpg

once the length was figured they started to come to shape
004_zpsn3i1zy7n.jpg

I scratched the seat backs and bottoms out of .20 styrene sheet, added .30 rod and Grandt line bolt heads
004_zpsn3i1zy7n.jpg

For the seat back I used solder and brass tube (I need a better photo, but look how good the focus is on the tweezers)
006_zpsrj53jmsr.jpg

007_zpshaomfqpy.jpg

Added some suspension bolts to the co-drivers compartment
009_zpsfcy8b3cd.jpg

Added some bolts on the drivers side also, and this made placing the floor parts in soooooooo easy :bang head
I then installed some of the drivers controls and details
011_zpswwxtxnvz.jpg

marked the upper hole for some holes that would have bolted the turret race in
203_zpsoworat6q.jpg

Wow, that's not something I've ever seen before. Thinking outside the box on a number of levels, Jeff.

Ian.

Ian here some photos of the real things. They were made out of M50 Shermans, (something happened to the turret or gun would be my guess)

101_n_zps240112c7.jpg

sherman205.jpg

sherman-apc-31-1.jpg

Back