• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Server disk space issue

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
We're maxing out the server disk space again. I've deleted some images and I'm investigating some old forum directories (behind the scenes things not visible here) if they can be deleted. Not sure how much space that will clean up.

If you would please go back in your old Media and delete anything that is not really needed. I don't want you dumping everything but stuff that might be redundant.

Currently we have 120 gigs of space. We're at 111 gigs used. I had it down to 80 percent not log ago. To upgrade to the next level of service will double the cost of the website. I'm not interested in that unless some benevolent benefactors come forward and throw a shit load of money at me.

Anyone with real web site management experience contact me on messages.

This is where keeping the photo sizes to 300k or less is a big help. When folks just straight upload 3mb photos straight from their phones, it does a number on things.
I am wondering if my little animated smileys contribute to the problem or if since it is the same file with the same name as I have used before it just considers it already in media and loads it from there. I am ok with pulling all my old post photos in acquisitions. The thread of latest acquisitions revisited goes back to 2010. Yeah I know there are folks that posted there that are no longer among us. I would suggest that removing all photos from that thread prior to 2020 might be a big help. I also doubt that anything prior to that is probably not going to be needed or searched for.

Working with a web developer who moved us to the current software. I think he just duplicated the old gallery to it's current location. He's going back and compressing files and cleaning up old software.

Hold what you got Paul.

Not to worry Warren, it's a hold over to the old site where we had the Gallery. Now that we just attach images on post it's not used much other than Duke.

The fella who migrated our site from Joomla to our current Xeonforo has offered a great deal on hosting. I'm going to take him up, he'll also take up duties as server admin, you might end up seeing some nice enhancements. Might get bumpy but he'll do the migration to his server, who knows, might be seamless.

I'll announce when we move. We probably won't even notice it.

Yep, Similar Threads.
Might notice something at the top of the site also, I'm having to enable ads to see if I can get some money to cover cost of the website. Just testing at this point.

I was waiting to donate till I got my tax refund. Now it looks like the US snail mail lost the tax return. As I am due a refund am not too worried about negatives and IRS has no info thus they have not gotten it yet. Then I have been slammed the last month with other things so am getting really tight on my pennies at the moment.

Back