• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Salvadorian F-51D 1/48 scale

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
I'm calling this on El-51

Soccer War Salvadorian F-51D

I will be using the Tamiya F-51D as I got it cheap. Since I got it cheap I just had to get extra stuff. I was a bit disappointed with cockpit. I kinda think the Revell one is a little better. My opinion. When I bought the kit I intended on out of the box with Dominican markings. :eek:hyeah I also had a hard time nailing the cockpit color some say black, others say light gray and others say zinc green. So the choice was made to make a beat up camo Mustang.
p51008.jpg

After five bucks here, ten there, twenty for that, I may have been better off with a Tamiya 1/32 one. :laugh:

The stuff,

100~2.jpg

101~2.jpg

102~2.jpg

103~2.jpg

104~1.jpg

105~0.jpg

106~1.jpg

107~0.jpg

108~1.jpg

109~1.jpg

110~2.jpg

111~3.jpg

112~1.jpg

113~0.jpg

114~0.jpg

I started by filling most of the seams in the wings. I read that most of El Salvador's P-51's came from private owners. The wings may have had panel lines and the rivets. I also read those were re-militarized, so panels filled? I'm not sure filling is correct for a Soccer War Mustang, but I did it and not looking back.

300.jpg

A shot before removing things
301.jpg

Comparing factory and after market parts
305~0.jpg

Some of parts from the kit I won't using
306.jpg

Working on making the resin parts fit
307~0.jpg

308~0.jpg

Still have mine to hAnd, Jeff, I'll dig it out over the weekend and take some new pics you can use as refs (and avoid making the same errors that I made).

Ian.

I ended up not using the resin floor. I want a two seater. I cut off the fuel tank and other parts. I added sheet styrene for the rear floor
315.jpg

310.jpg

Sand then fill and repeat for the wings. Thinking now this was a dumb idea.
312.jpg

313.jpg

Slapped some primer on the wings and sanded again
316.jpg

321~0.jpg

322~0.jpg

323.jpg

324.jpg

I'm using seats from Quick boost. One is P-51 the other is P-40 (because I had one) Primered black and then a fast coat of silver.
319~0.jpg

320.jpg

Started to paint the cockpit floor and sides
318.jpg

317~1.jpg

That's where I'm at

Still have mine to hAnd, Jeff, I'll dig it out over the weekend and take some new pics you can use as refs (and avoid making the same errors that I made).

Ian.

That would be great Ian (y)

As I'm unsure in general about any of these South American Mustangs.

Back