• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pre shade

paddy

Has anyone tried pre shading in reverse so panel lines show through lighter. I cant help thinking in the desert things would be more inclined to fade at the edges rather than go darker ??

I'm more of a post shade type, never get the pre shading to work for me. Very interested in what you do Paddy

:popcorn

I have to say i am not a pre shade fan. I have seen so many really good models ruined by pre shade (a sort of artistic fashion). To me its like the fad for bulged wheels, something that is usually over kill. I don't care what anyone says i have never seen a pre shade effect on a Spitfire or anything else from damp and dreary 1940 England :), its seems to me to be applied because it looks good rather than it ever really happened . The one exception i have seen is in the white/light grey of 60s/70s US Navy jets which show some signs of it when out in the Sun. I suppose the answer is it lends its self to lighter colours, not Ocean Grey and dark earth and dark Green.
Post shading might be the answer or a mix of dark pre shading and light post shading for the desert. Its certainly a result of heat i would say.
Another instance where it works is on Doped linen WWI aircraft where the wing ribs, for example show through the semi transparent linen.

Spotted this at my local airfield the other week...no signs of pre shade here :)

Image32.jpg

I'm not a fan of pre-shading either, for a couple of reasons:

First, it seems to be one of those steps modelers feel they are supposed to do (much like chipping)..."I began by pre-shading the model".

Second, once the painting is complete, the pre-shading has all but disappeared...seems like a waste of time to me.

I do like a bit of color modulation and post shading, as long as it it done subltey...

Just my thoughts,
Tom

Back