• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Platoon Sergeant on Radio

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
It's been a while since I have posted something new as I have been busy with some other projects that are not model-related and with spending quality time with my grandson.

This figure has been in the works for a while and I have changed him a couple of times. Originally he had a different head and was going to be carrying an M16 in his right hand, but I later decided that I wanted to depict him getting ready to talk on the radio. I have several ideas as to how I will use him in a vignette or diorama, but for now I will just concentrate on working on this figure. He is a conversion of a couple of Bravo 6 figures with a Hornet head that I have modified a bit, arms from First Legion, and right hand from Bravo 6. I sculpted the claymore bag of M16 magazines with Magic Sculpt.

100_1538.JPG

100_1539.JPG

100_1540.JPG

100_1541.JPG

100_1542.JPG

100_1543.JPG

100_1544.JPG

100_1545.JPG

100_1546.JPG

I think he looks better this way than how he looked with the other head that I had put on him. I will be including an RTO with this figure and may even have some other figures in a group that he is facing and speaking to. I just need to see what develops. Most people probably come up with a plan and then do their figures. More often than not, I usually come up with a pretty cool figure conversion and then develop the scene around that figure. It might be a bit backwards, but it seems to work for me...sometimes. :)

Well, I am going to get back to work figuring out which figures are going to be accompanying this figure in a vignette or diorama.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Jamee

Thanks, guys.

Now I am getting the RTO figured out. I am using a new release from Bravo 6, the grenadier from one of the 'Round the Corner' series kits, as the base figure for the conversion. I am in the process of scraping away the flak jacket details and will sculpt in jungle fatigue details, pack straps, etc.

Sorry about the blurry image, but this will give you an idea of what he might look like. I wanted to depict him as someone carrying the extra weight of the radio in a hot and humid environment. I've experienced that myself, so I think I will be able to achieve the look I want. I chose a Hornet head that looks kind of worn out and the pose itself looks as if the RTO is bending forward to stretch and rest some of his back muscles or perhaps adjust his load. His left hand will be on his knee helping to hold up the weight and his right will be holding his M16.

100_1568.JPG

I have some pictures that show a possible location in relation to the platoon sergeant in another thread I started about he concept I am thinking about using for this project.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
James

I got some further work done on the RTO to get him closer to getting the putty applied. I scraped off more resin to make him a bit thinner not only because most Grunts in Vietnam were pretty skinny due to their crappy diet, but also to allow for the application of the putty for the uniform. I have attached the head and the lightweight rucksack frame. When I apply the putty, I plan on sculpting the details of his jungle fatigue shirt, add a M16 bandoleer, and a towel around his neck. Canteens will be added to his belt. To the rucksack frame, the AN/PRC 25 or 77 will be strapped to the frame and under the radio on straps will be a rolled up poncho, two pop flares, and a spare radio battery.

100_5202.JPG

100_5203.JPG

100_5204.JPG

100_5205.JPG

100_5206.JPG

100_5207.JPG

100_5208.JPG

It may seem like the frame is oversized or isn't sitting quite right. It is the correct scaled size as this is from Bravo 6 and all of his frames are standardized and once the putty is applied, the major gaps will disappear.

Cheers,
James

After posing out the RTO and also after developing the story line of what is going to be going on with the patrol, the Platoon Sergeant's holding of the handset no longer fit the situation. I decided to replace that hand with one holding an M16 which was the original hand that I was going to use for the figure way before I came up the the ideas for the diorama/vignette. I think it will better fit the scene I am now planning if he is holding onto his rifle rather than taking a pause from speaking into the handset of the radio. Another reason for it was that no matter how I tried to position an M16 or XM177, they just did not sit quite right when slung on this figure. Not sure if you can tell or not, but I used a piece of plastic bag to recreate the 100mph tape used to tape down his front sling swivel to silence it for the patrol.

SO this is how he is going to look:

100_5217.JPG

100_5218.JPG

100_5219.JPG

100_5220.JPG

100_5221.JPG

100_5222.JPG

100_5223.JPG

100_5225.JPG

100_5226.JPG

100_5227.JPG

I think I like him better this way and I can place him in a better position for the story line of the diorama.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

Back