• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

OV-1B Mohawk - Whispering Death (1/48 Roden)

helios

Realized I had a couple ongoing builds that I haven't posted. I think they have shown up in the "What on the Bench" thread, but that's about it.

This started out as a Vietnam build...then things got carried away and time allotments were overrun. That NEVER happens.... :lol: Ok, who am I kidding. I've been happy with the way this thing has progressed so I wasn't in any hurry to rush it to meet a "completion date".

The kit: Roden's 1/48 OV-1B. I was originally going to do it in National Geological Survey colors, but the Vietnam GB changed the plans. Though w/ the Vietnam build past I could always revert back...:hmm:

Test fit shows promise.

She's actually a pretty big bird...

Seats painted up. Wingtips assembled. There were different halves presumable for the different models. It definitely would've been better if they had just molded separate tips, instead of halves. Fiddly work, but all turned out fine in the end.

Seats fitted. "Custom" cockpit padding and wiring.

Starting to look like a plane.

Tinted canopies.

Makeshift jig to keep sensor pod aligned while the cement cured.

First time doing any kind of rigging. Ended up going w/ wire instead of thread for ease of installation. I ended up getting annoyed w/ the canopy after seeing this picture and tore the pieces apart to try to refit for better alignment. It didn't look so bad to the naked eye.

I like that "Lick and Stick" phrase. :good:

Definitely looking good on the build Chris! I almost never do fast builds. They always take longer than planned it seems, but the end result is what you want, not the "I did it in 2 days" bit.

Looks Good GIF.gif

Very nice! A guy who was a member of a model club flew in these beasts, he had some cool stories to tell about them. :vgood:

Very neat plane! I have one of these kits in the stash for a project in mind! Look forward to seeing it completed!

:popcorn

Pretty sure they didn't put them on floats.. :rotf
:lol: :hmm:

But they could!! I was actually thinking of trying to build the protagonists plane from this one day! I have a 1/72 Catalina wing that would fit perfectly!

They put a OV-10 Bronco on floats, apparently just a concept mock up!

Bronco.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!! You're really putting alot into this one Chris and you're right.....that is a big plane. Almost mistook it for 1/32 scale in that photo with you holding it.

Back