• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Operation CVW-11 Tribute (1:72 scale)

helios

Objective: Build 1 aircraft from each squadron that was part of Carrier Air Wing 11 while I served with VAQ-135 in the mid-late 1990s, with focus on WESTPAC95 deployment.

For me the '90s was the heyday for US carrier aviation. The flight deck covered with a diverse assortment of aircraft designed for specialized missions was a sight to behold. Fleet defense interceptors, electronic warfare, fighter/bombers, medium bombers, sub hunters, AWACS, SAR, tankers.....we had it all. B)

For the past 15 years I've been thinking about doing this, but never really pulled the trigger. I've been kinda keeping an eye on the wingfold kits for the various models over the past couple years and have been noticing some aren't as readily available as they used to be. Well, last night I pulled the trigger on this project and started procuring some of the wingfold & decal kits as a Christmas present. I was placing an order for the SBD for the Pearl Harbor build...so why not save a bit on shipping, right?

Anywho, this will be a slow progressing thread (and likely boring for most :pp ). But I figured why not, it gives me somewhere I can document the project, and if anyone cares to follow along, they can. This will likely take 3-4 years to complete (maybe longer), as I plan to do most of the builds as I can fit them into the various group builds. So I guess I'm looking at this project as a compilation of several smaller projects with common goal. I suspect I'll be asking for some help locating specific decals throughout the process, particularly the "USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN" & "CVW-11". So if you happen to have some of these on a used sheet you're throwing away, please save them for me! :drinks "USS CARL VINSON" & USS KITTY HAWK may be acceptable alternates (except for the A-6s), but my goal is to try to keep things as close to WESTPAC95 markings as I'm able.

WESTPAC95 CVW-11 Birds:

VQ-5 Sea Shadows (ES-3A Shadow) - Have wing/tailfold. Procured S-3 kit and ES-3A resin conversion kit.
HS-6 Indians (SH-60F Oceanhawk) - Have kit (HB). Need decals.
HS-6 Indians (HH-60H Rescuehawk) - Have kit (HB). Need decals.
VFA-22 Redcocks (F/A-18C Hornet) - Have wingfold
VS-29 Dragonfires (S-3B Viking) - Have kit & wing/tailfold.
VFA-94 Mighty Shrikes (F/A-18C Hornet) - Have kit (Acad), wingfold & decals.
VA-95 Green Lizards (A-6E Intruder) - Have kit (Fuj) & decals. wingfold to be scratchbuilt.
VA-95 Green Lizards (KA-6D Intruder) - Have decals. Wolfpack makes Buddy Drops. Need EA-6B wingfold.
VAW-117 Wallbangers (E-2C Hawkeye) - Have kit (Has), wingfold & decals.
VAQ-135 Black Ravens (EA-6B Prowler) - Have kit (Has), wingfold, & decals.
VF-213 Black Lions (F-14A Tomcat) - Have kit (Has) & decals. swingwing.

Last edited:
So after doing some digging today...it turns out I was wrong on the birds flown by HS-6 at the time. The Bravo variant of the Seahawk entered service to replace the SH-2 on the smallboys. The carriers received the Foxtrot variant first to replace the SH-3 Seaking in ASW/SAR roles...later to be supplemented by HH-60Hs in dedicated SAR/CSAR roles. HS-6 was operating both SH-60Fs & HH-60Hs during WESTPAC95.

Now to see what the visual differences are between the SH-60B/F, and whether or not I can use the Bravo kit I just received. :facepalm At least it was an inexpensive kit.

Great Chris a long time project I can keep up with, some of these quickie builds here I almost miss, ... I'll be your wing man here, any help I can give you let me know. I'm fair at digging up stuff on eBay ... :popcorn

Now to see what the visual differences are between the SH-60B/F, and whether or not I can use the Bravo kit I just received. :facepalm At least it was an inexpensive kit.

And I definitely won't be able to use it. There are significant differences between the Bravo & Foxtrot variants. On the upside, I stumbled across a damaged box SH-60F for $12 shipped. Should be here any day now. :cheer:

Was the other Tomcat Squadron VF-114? Are you looking for kits & Decals? What a Sierra Hotel project!
Darn the Martinis! Full Speed Ahead!! :skipper :eek:ldguy :pilot
Did the EA-6B still have it's less than complimentary sounding nickname in the '90's?

VF-114 was the other Tomcat squadron, though their final deployment w/ CVW-11 was in 1991. By the 1993 cruise, CVW-11 only had a single F-14 squadron. I've already got a Hasagawa kit for the F-14...though I'm keeping my eyes open for a better set of decals, as the ones I have are from a bit earlier timeframe than what I'm hoping to reflect.

As far as the nickname...it wouldn't surprise me if they did...though we didn't use it.

Was the other Tomcat Squadron VF-114? Are you looking for kits & Decals? What a Sierra Hotel project!
Darn the Martinis! Full Speed Ahead!! :skipper :eek:ldguy :pilot
Did the EA-6B still have it's less than complimentary sounding nickname in the '90's?

Actually I take that back, the name had momentary slipped my mind. "Sky Pig" was still widely used right up until the end of USN service. I would assume the Marines probably share the name.

Back