• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ontar Sherman Mk V in Italy

jknaus

Administrator
I'll be doing scheme B from this Star Decals sheet.
35861_01.gif

The Atsuka Mk V so far.
20230409_172823.jpg
20230409_172829.jpg
20230409_180009.jpg
20230409_180015.jpg

James

I'm pretty sure I am paying for poor life choices now. The suspension system must have been designed by the Marquis de Sade. Looking for some new road wheels to replace the ones in the kit which have a dip in the center of the wheel all the way around and hopefully ones that dont require me to put micro miniature rivets along the inner face. Sigh, Sausage fingers make this so much harder than it should be. Its taken 45 minutes to figure this all out while assembling half of one bogy. So updates will be much slower gong forward. On a positive note I made the light guards at just the right time. Will try them out on this build. I think they look a bit crisper than the kit ones.
Question for the Sherman experts, I see there is an after market commanders coupola that is listed as British. Anyone know where or when they were used? It doesnt look like any coupolas I have seen before so I'm curious now.
James

@jknaus, replacement roadwheels were made by TMD specifically for the Tasca/Atsuka (& Tamiya rebox) kits. Complete bogies (and their roadwheels) from Formations Models. I know the former ceased trading but not sure of the second.

The only 'British' cupola is the Mk II (seen on Fireflies as well). These were offered by Formations Models, Resicast, and one could adapt it from the included cupola in AFV Club's Churchill kit. Click image for my discussion:

@jknaus, replacement roadwheels were made by TMD specifically for the Tasca/Atsuka (& Tamiya rebox) kits. Complete bogies (and their roadwheels) from Formations Models. I know the former ceased trading but not sure of the second.

The only 'British' cupola is the Mk II (seen on Fireflies as well). These were offered by Formations Models, Resicast, and one could adapt it from the included cupola in AFV Club's Churchill kit. Click image for my discussion:

Thanks Saul. I found some very nice road wheel files and have printed them out. They look crisper and have the rivet detail that has to be added on the Atsuka kit. I will attempt to continue with the bogies although now I know of another source I will see if I can find them. Thanks for the info on the cupolas. I guess I do not need to worry about getting them as I am doing a Sherman Mk V. I got the replacement gun cradle for my Stug and have been building it when I have actually made it into the basement. I also found some upgrade files for an Italian M13/40 which i have printed out including track. There is also a conversion for the M13/40 to make a command vehicle. Now I just need to find which track my Sherman used and I may have a source for files to print out Sherman track instead of using the rubber band track. We'll see how this weekend goes. Again thanks for the info Saul.
James

Thanks Saul. Unfortunately cant find that design so will go with the Type 54E1 as it is close and it was common. If I find the correct ones I can change it later..
James

Thanks Saul. Unfortunately cant find that design so will go with the Type 54E1 as it is close and it was common. If I find the correct ones I can change it later...
The name changed to T54E2 so look for that. As for me, I went Bronco:
MED600_BRO-AB3547-BROBOX.jpg

AK repackages R-Models' metal track sets. I wasn't impressed with the photos.
AK-684B_2.jpg

Got some tracks printed and another batch printing. Here is what they look like . Also I have printed some Sturm Tiger Barrels with internal rifeling for my RFM Sturm Tiger. 3 Different configurations. Also shown is one of the printed road wheels including the rivets. Much nicer than the kit one I think. While I have been working at finding upgrades for the sherman I have also been working on my StuH 42 by Miniart.
20230423_161055.jpg
20230423_161100.jpg
20230423_161105.jpg
20230423_161849.jpg

And the StuH

20230423_160506.jpg
20230423_160515.jpg
20230423_160520.jpg
20230423_160525.jpg

James

Back