• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

New Tool 48th Scale Avro Anson Mk. I from Airfix

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member

A09191 Avro Anson Mk.I​

a09191_1.jpg

a09191_3.jpg

a09191_5.jpg

a09191_6.jpg

a09191_8.jpg

a09191_10.jpg

a09191_12.jpg

a09191_14.jpg

a09191_15.jpg

a09191_16.jpg

a09191_17.jpg

a09191_18.jpg

Regards,

Really excited to see the new H/S Buccaneer in 1/48, is this a new tool or the 1990's one reissued ?
Then i noticed the price !!! £73.00 GBP is near $100.00. big bucks for a 1/48

a12012_1__63029.1641834275.1280.1280.jpg

Interesting looking aircraft. I have found I tend to like a lot of twin engine designs.

Really excited to see the new H/S Buccaneer in 1/48, is this a new tool or the 1990's one reissued ?
Then i noticed the price !!! £73.00 GBP is near $100.00. big bucks for a 1/48

View attachment 144941

Airfix

You asked, we listened. Introducing the NEW MOULD 1:48 Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 RN!
The aviator enthusiasts among us will know, this mighty naval strike aircraft really is in a class of its own. In 48th scale, this highly detailed, highly requested newly tooled kit is a must-have for your collection.
This new kit includes:
TV & AR Martel Missiles
Folding Wings
Early/Late Homer Pods
Two Types of Tailplane Fairing
Various Other Weapons
Open & Closed Airbrakes
Intake, Exhaust Covers and Ladders
Detailed Engine & Hatch
Posable Ailerons & Tailplane Elevators
Detailed Cockpit & Bomb Bay
Scale 1:48 | Skill Level 3 | 288 pieces

I built their old 1/72 (?) back in the mid 60's... I believe it was in light blue plastic

how interesting. It was a heavy fighter right? The Anison that is.
It was used to deter Luftwaffe attacks during the Dunkirk evacuation. In one incident, 3 Ansons from 500 Sqn were attacked by 9 BF 109s. PO Peters' Anson shot down 2 Bf 109s and damaged a third. The other 2 Ansons escaped with serious damage making emergency landings in England. PO Peters returned to the squadrons home base. He was awarded the DFC for this action. In the colour schemes MK-V N9732 is his aircraft.

Cheers,
Rich

Well that's a bit confusing seeing a N registration when talking about WW2 British aircraft.

As well as he should have been! :salute:
The Air Ministry began using five character alpha-numeric codes in 1916 with a single letter and four numbers. They switched to the two letter and three number codes in 1940.

Rich

Airfix just keeps on doing neat stuff. I saw they were expanding the 1/48 Spitfires to include that Mk XVIII. Had to look up what that was. Sort of a rewarmed Mk XIV, as it were.

I have the old Buccaneer kit and have sort of looked forward to making all the pieces fit as they should, I've read it can be a trial. If there was evr a jet fighter that looked like the singer who ends the opera, the Bucc has to be it.

The Buccaneer was also known as the "Banana Jet" from the acronym used in documents during development, BANA (Blackburn Advanced Naval Aircraft). "Bananas" also became the trademark attack call of the Buccaneer force.

It was also called "The Brick" because it was built like a brick outhouse for the low level strike role.

Cheers,
Rich

I remember Buccaneers at the Biggin Hill air shows in the late 70's. they were all ex Navy much like the RAF F4's that were transferred to the RAF when the navy scrapped the large Carriers and went to Harriers. Always interesting to see RAF aircraft do slow flybys with an arrester hook dangling :)
They were not a fighter, more of a low level interdiction bomber with an internal bomb bay designed to carry a nuclear air surface missile.
They were retired after the Gulf war where they acted as laser target designation aircraft alongside Tornado's

DSCF0007.JPG

This one is a few miles from me in its anti flash nuclear white scheme from the early days.

Bob, the Anson was mainly a utility transport, there were training Sqn's etc but most airfields would have one for pilot transport / officer transport, the model depicts a turreted version but that was actually quite unusual.

1280px-Avro_Anson,_Shuttleworth_Flying_Day_-_June_2013.jpg

Last edited:
I'll probably end up with a Bucc eventually. I've actually got a squadron sticker for one...guess maybe I should go hunting decals in a bit. :LOL:

Back