• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Need paint match help on Citgo race cars

Adam Baker

Over my Thanksgiving holiday, I plan on doing some building, but need some help figuring out what paints to use.

I'm going to be working on the 5 Citgo "Decades" cars that Elliott Sadler drove during the 2000 season to commemorate 50 years of the Wood Brothers.

50's - Read that Italian Red is a good match for this color

1011.jpg

21-50s-citgo.jpg

60's - Rangoon red for this, but I dont know what this would match.

21-60s-citgo.jpg

70's Testors 1104 Dark Gloss red

21lowes-pearson.jpg

21-70s-citgo.jpg

80's - Needing to find a match for the blue

21superguard.jpg

21-80s-citgo.jpg

90's - Chevy Engine Red has been suggested for this, but the Slixx sheet suggests Chrysler Engine Red. From the few pictures I've been able to find, it looks more red, but I've read that this color is more of an orange/red which the Chevy Engine Red is close to.

21atlanta-march.jpg

21-90s-citgo.jpg

It's a difficult call Adam, but I agree with you for the 50's Italian Red. The 70's dark red - to me the RAF 'roundel red' would be a shoe-in. Ready mixed the only one I know is Xtracolor enamel (Hannants in the UK produce and sell these - I swear by them, very high gloss, spray nicely and dry to a bullet-proof finish. The 90's car is a particularly tough call because that orange on the bottom sill really screws with your colour perspective.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, friend.

Ian

Back