• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Need help with an FW 190

phantom II

Master at Arms
Need help from a FW 190 expert.

I just received an excellent looking set of decals from Eagle Strike # 72027 in which they provided a pattern for an A_6 or A-8 but seems to have forgotten to include the direction of where it might go ?????
Hm, small oversight ? :laugh:

Any help appreciated, Christian B)

Christian, what are you referring to? Are you writing about the armor template? The direction is marked left and right on them. From what I see, only the Fw-190A-8/R2 would have the armor but none seem to be that version.

Regards,

Hi Saul , it is about the armor template but there is no visible explanation or drawing as to where it goes ( at least not to my eyes ).
It is drawn between a drawing of an A-6 and an A-8. and has no further explanation .
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try and find some more info on the R2 option to see what's it's all about. At least I have a place to start my search in a prolific family. I do like a couple of these paint jobs though.

Cheers, Christian B)

Black 6/White 70 is actually an F-8 and was found in Czechoslovakia:
1-Fw-190F8-SG10-Black-6-Czechoslovakia-1945-03.jpg

1-Fw-190F8-SG10-Black-6-Czechoslovakia-1945-02.jpg

Hi guys,

Sorry for butting in but i would just like to understand the dilema. Christian - the decal sheet itself, does it have an actual decal for the armour plate? Sorry but I don't build in 72 and i'm not familiar with that sheet.

Geoff

Greetings Christian;

..... This seems to be a very confusing, and highly
debated subject among modelers. Part of the confusion
seem to stem from FW-190's that where up-graded in
the field. This is the conclusion to what I have found.

There where two Storm-Fighter up-grades made by the
FW-190 manufactures.

1. The FW-190/A8-R2

2. The FW-190/A8-R7

Field mods. where also done. One of these became
known as the FW-190/A5-U16.

..... There were three different field mods that
could be use on most any FW-190, thy consisted of:

1. Canopy... added armor to the windscreen, and
.. armored side plexiglass panels added.

2. Three armored side plates on each side of the
.. aircraft were added. These were place on the
exterior of the aircraft, around the cockpit area.

3. Armored plate was add to the bottom of the a/c.
...The plate covered the bottom of the cockpit.

The confusing part.... not all aircraft had all
three mods installed. Some had mods 1 & 2 installed
but not mod 3. They could be used separately, or
togather.

The manufactures up-grade on the FW-190/A8-R2
consisted of. Mods 1 & 2.

Note the three additional armor plate on the side
.... of the cockpit.

The most extensive up-grade was done on the FW-190/A8-R7.
This was also a manufactures up-grade.

Focke-Wulf FW-190 in action
Jerry L. Campbell & Don Greer
Squadron/Signal Pub... 1975.

The Focke-Wu if FW-190/A
Profile Pub. No.3......

Model Referance....... off the web.

This is the FW-190/A8-R7 1/32 scale resin up-grade
by Eagle Models.

Note you can us this up-grade together, of separately
.... to simulate any of the three mods.

This is what it look like on the a/c
Note the three side plates.

..... :soldier..... :pilot...,

Mike

Very detailed response there Mike - it's really good to be able to ask a question and find a bunch of helpful folk willing to answer (y)

the decal sheet itself, does it have an actual decal for the armour plate?

Geoff, the decal sheet includes a template on the instructions:
33163.jpg

These are the instructions and you can see the templates between the first and second profiles:
EP72027a.jpg

The strange thing, to me, is that the templates are included as none of the aircraft are using the modification.

Regards,

I presume they included the template in case you wanted to convert the A6 to A8 which would simply entail removing the cowling guns and add the armour. The cockpit armour could be left off as many were (I assume this to be the case from looking at the differences between my Eduard A6 and A8). But I agree with you, it's weird why they have them there with no explanation or relevance to the subjects on show.

geoff

The A-8 did not have the armor, the differences between the A-6 and A-8 are others. The Fw-190A-6R/2 existed but is not the same kit as the Fw-190A-8R/2 which was armored to go against bombers.

The modification kits were designed to be variant specific. For example, a R kit could change the armament on a particular variant but changed the armor on another.

Regards,

Hi guys, and than you for all the help and clarification . The Luftwaffe is a complicated subject to follow. Lot of field implemented mods. plus the written off airframes that were sent back to be refitted and/or modified to new standards. I am certain that all things that went on was exactly as prescribed but more as what materials and needs dictated.
My favorite example is the outfit that made an HE 219 strictly from spare parts.... :fencing
While searching yesterday, I found some pictures of the extra armor on late FW's but there was no explanations to make it worth while.
Thanks for the good photo of the canopy armor. The ones I found were not good enough to comprehend just how they were mounted. In all honesty it look a lot like the armored windshields that went on the ME 190's

Cheers, Christian B)

PS, still does not explain the lack of info from the decal manufacturer :rotf

Greetings Guys;

...... on the decal set the second set is for a
FW-190/A8. May-haps they gave you the template so
you could convert a FW-190/A8 into a FW-190/A8-R2,
with the field mod. 2.... only.

Ither way.... I agree with Sail. I think they messed
up. If they where going to give you the template
for the cockpit armor, the should have also provided
a new canopy rail, like Eagle Models does.

................... :pilot ...,
Mike

...... on the decal set the second set is for a
FW-190/A8.

Mike, the second profile is labeled an A-8 but is actually an F-8 as the photos I posted show. There are no A-8 Butcher Birds on that sheet.

Regards,

Greetings Sail;

That completely changes every thing.

This manufacture completely messed up.

Good day,
Mike

Back