• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My sons first model

SA Dave

The wife and me have decided to take away the TV and computer games during the week. So I have been teaching my son some modeling on a Hobby Boss quickbuild Typhoon (He loves the Tygermouth opsion)

I was wondering, Should I teach him to Airbrush from the beginning or not? I think I should just because the paint dries so fast (I can remember how soon I wanted to finish when I was that young) and off course the paint is far less toxic.

Opinions please

Why not, if he start early he have easier to learn i think (and it's more fun than with a brush) but teach him to paint with brushes to, and most of all cleanup :) (the "not so fun part")

Been thinking of letting him do the greys with AB and then doing the green camo with Hand

My mate Chef says it might even help with the handpaint to have an flat coat down to paint on.

Been thinking of letting him do the greys with AB and then doing the green camo with Hand

My mate Chef says it might even help with the handpaint to have an flat coat down to paint on.

airbrush on the primer and camouflage then hand paint the details such as wheels, cockpit items, and so on. Explain the differences in paint consistences required as well as clean up and maintenance.

Typhoon with Tyger mouth, eh? You know I want to see it!

Regards,

First of all, how old is he? I ask this because I taught my friend's six-year-old daughter how to airbrush models some time back. She was a quick and effective learner. I had also explained the consistencies of paint and how and when to paint certain things. Oh, I had taught her how to use a double-action airbrush as well and she picked it up nicely. Her dad even said she airbrushed better than he did!

Bottom line; I'd say that if he is at least that old, teach him to use the airbrush, at least for basecoats. Once he gets that down, pull out his Silly Putty (or comparable modeling clay-type product) and show him how to mask and spray on camouflage.

Just my two cents.

Learning to use an air brush is a logical approach, as long as a lesson in cleaning the brush is included. B) Learning good habits goes hand in hand with the enjoyment of our hobby.

I think you are wise to keep things moving so the interest level remains high. (y)

Of course, you could get him another kit to work on while the paint is drying on the first... :evil: :laugh:

Well both daughters have joined in Both have decided on Lindberg Ford roadsters in 32 (Thanks Barney)

Back